Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Aspire 5315 DVD won't open

This is a discussion on Aspire 5315 DVD won't open within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My parents have an Aspire 5315-2153 running Windows Vista. After watching a DVD, they could not get it to eject.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

My parents have an Aspire 5315-2153 running Windows Vista. After watching a DVD, they could not get it to eject. They read to use a paperclip in the emergency open hole. Now the DVD will not open at all when pushing the button on the door. Any ideas?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
Enthusiast

The paper-clip method should only be used in emergencies. If used often it will permanently damage the tray mechanism, which is probably what's happened. In that case the drive will have to be replaced.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

The eject hole manually releases the locking mechanism and shouldn't cause any damage. Did the paper clip open the door? How old is the optical drive?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

The paperclip opened the door and was maybe used 5-10 times. The computer is probably 2 years old. This was the first time they had used the drive since purchasing the computer. When I tried to open the drive door, I pushed the button one would normally push to open the drive but got nothing. No light flashed and I did not hear any sounds from the drive.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Sounds like a faulty drive. Try opening the drive right after powering on (ie: before Windows loads).

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Tried opening the drive immediately after turning the computer on...nothing. No lights, no sounds of mechanical whirring and whizzing.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Dead. Replace it.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote