Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advice for new monitor

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new monitor that's going to be used mostly for gaming. After some research I think I'm going for a 2560x1440 monitor, but can't really find a monitor I'm happy about. The monitor that made the most impression on me is the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, but it got terribly reviews on IPS glow and backlight bleed (like all competitor monitors). I definetly want g sync and most likely IPS. Any recommendations?

Also, are there any good monitors going to be released this year? I can wait a little while.

GPU: GTX 1070

#5 · (Edited)
While I think that is too much to spend on a monitor, this one will do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/27-inch-Moni...84359481&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+g-sync+ips&th=1
Do you mean the 4k monitor? I don't think my GPU can handle most games at 4k, that's why I wanted a 2560 x 1440 in first instance. I've read that downscaling to 2k from a 4 monitor doesn't look as good than using it at a 2k monitor. To what point is this actually true?, because I was actually looking for a 4k monitor before.

Also is it worth risking one of those monitors, reading all the bad reviews about backlight bleeding and IPS glow? I don't want to keep sending them back because there isn't really a fast suplier I can get them from.

#12 ·
Just to let you know. I bought the asus PG279Q because it was the easiest one to get my hands on. Ofcourse the thing I was afraid of happaned. I got one with terribly backlight bleeding and IPS glow (yellow glow and really bad IPS glow). Other than that its an amazing monitor. Its a much better improvement to the 1920x1080 monitor I was using before than I expected (mainly based on the games I play). The g-sync is a must becauce in games like GTA V my fps drops to 40 sometimes but is barely noticeable with g-sync on.

I sent mine back because of the backlight bleed. You can clearly see a yellow glow when darker colours are used. Im getting a new one from the same suplier without any issues they say. Without the bleed and glow I would be very happy with this monitor.

#13 ·
Just so you that you know, IPS panels are known to have at least some bleed. It's a matter of swapping panels until you find one that you can live with. I'd say mine has minimal bleed (it's better than the TN panel which it replaced). But you aren't likely to find one with no bleed, at least not on what I've seen and read.

#14 ·
Yea I'm afraid you're right. Although I've seen some with barely noticeable bleeding, I think I have to accept at least a little bit of bleeding. The one I've sent back was just too much. At least a quarter of the screen was filled with some yellowish light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.