Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Acer 22 inch AL2223W: Monitor goes dark/black after a second

This is a discussion on Acer 22 inch AL2223W: Monitor goes dark/black after a second within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The display on my monitor goes dark (backlights turn off) after a second. I have tried replacing the power inverter

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

The display on my monitor goes dark (backlights turn off) after a second. I have tried replacing the power inverter board with no success. My next step it to replace the back lights, but I wanted to make sure that was a reasonable assumption. The display is perfect for about a second and then it just turns very dark. I thought for sure it had something to do with the inverter board, but apparently it does not.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

I should also say that I know this is a monitor problem because I bought a 24 inch lcd and it works great.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

abel408 - did you ever solve this? One of our users just notified me that he has the same issue with this exact monitor. Worked for months before, not anymore. It works just great for a second or two, showing full desktop, etc - but then goes black. Did you have any luck???
Old 05-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

I am actually still working on it. I am pretty sure I was sent two bad inverter boards. Hard to believe, but now I have three inverter boards and none of them work, but both back lights are perfectly fine. The inverter board shuts the back lights off automatically when it senses that the power going to them are not equal. My original inverter board failed to bring power to the top back lights. I was wrong when I said that the display comes on perfectly for 1-2 seconds. If you look very closely you can see that the bottom is lit up more then the top. I took apart my monitor and took the top back light out to see what was actually going on. My original inverter didn't even light up the top one, the first one I was sent only lit up the top one half way (like it wasn't getting enough power) then shut off in the same manner. I then emailed the ebayer I bought it from and they sent me another one, but the replacement didn't even power on. Be careful with buying the inverter boards on ebay.

I am almost positive I have just had bad luck and now I'm stuck with 3 bad inverter boards.

To make sure it is the inverter board and not the back light you can take the monitor apart and plug the back light that is not lit up into the other back light port and see if it lights up. If it does, then it is your inverter. If it doesn't then it is your back light. These monitors do have 3 year warrenties on them and I don't believe they are 3 years old yet, but if you bought them from bestbuy (like I did) you're out of luck.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have the same problem... exactly. It lights up for about 2 sec's and then lights out. It's still running but just no display light. Switch it off then on it's lit about 2 sec's.

I have it apart today on my bench and wonder if it could be the lamps but I will scope the power inverter and see if it's running on both outputs.

The inverter switchers look like they run hot as the board is discoloured from heat. It's very possible one of them are fried.

>My next step it to replace the back lights, but I wanted to make sure that
>was a reasonable assumption.

Can they be replaced at all? The construction design somewhat looks engineered not to be replaceable.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yep they can be replaced. Just a major disassembly process to do it. They are fastened with two small screws as seen vaguely in this picture.

This is how my lights look for the moment they come on. It's opposite when I swap the connections from top to bottom indicating the lamps are good.

I scoped the power inverter outputs
Top lamp (barely lights)

Bottom lamp (Fully lights)

Looks like the output transformer may be bad or a problem with ballast caps.

The driver input signals look ok.

Post more when I get back to it.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Wow nice work. Great pictures. This thread will surely help others. I took the whole thing apart as well, and came to the conclusion that it cannot be the lights. I have received 3 inverter boards off ebay so I now have a total of 4. Every inverter board does the same thing except one does not even power on. If it is not the inverter board I have no clue what else it could be. Is it possible that all these ebay sellers are getting their inverter boards from the same place and all of them are bad?

I actually found out that my monitor is under warranty even though I bought it from bestbuy. So I think I'm going to give up and just send it back. Hopefully they don't notice that I took the whole thing apart multiple times.

Let me know what you come up with, but I don't advise getting an inverter board... or at least not from ebay. I could send you one if you wanted. I have 4 :).
Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

I find it really odd how all of the sudden people are having the exact same problem with this monitor. A few months ago I googled this problem with the same exact monitor and found nothing.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

Looks like a bad output transformer.

Output open to CN1 and CN2

Output good to CN3 and CN4
Old 06-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

So your telling me I received 3 bad inverters?

I need to get a multimeter like that.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

Just about any hardware or electronics store sells a meter for $15 to $30 USD that will give you some basic testing that's good enough to get that verification.

As illustrated in the pictures, test the output pins for resistance value around 1Kohm (1000 ohms) and that's about what it should be. If the output is much less or more than that on either output then it's a faulty transformer.

Chances are though, the same fault will be found on all the boards you have.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Latest info from Acer...

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Acer America. I’ll be happy to assist you with this issue.

I am glad to inform you that as per our record your product is in warranty.

Having reviewed your email, I understand that your monitor is having some issues.

Kirk, please be advised that the transformer is not an user replaceable part. What we can do is that we can troubleshoot for this issue and if found that it is a hardware failure we can take it for service for that I would recommend you to reply with the answers for the following questions so that we would be in a better position to assist you.
And after I had support read this thread here on techsupportforum.com...

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Acer America. I’ll be happy to assist you with this issue.

I am glad to inform you that as per our record your product is in warranty.

Having reviewed your email, I understand that your monitor is having some issues.

I can understand your concern but there is no option that we can provide a transformer. In order to assist you further and ensure you get the complete and full support for the product that you own we would like to have your product registered with our database, you can go through the following link: https://secure3.tx.acer.com/FindSyst...0Your%20System for the same.
It's so scripted!

I'd be surprised if they would even accept it for warranty service since it has been taken apart so far.

They are in no position to ship parts because the device is still a supported warranty item. They want me to ship it to them and have it repaired under warranty. However since I have gone this far with it I'd rather just fix it myself and save the wait, packing and shipping costs. Besides, I don't want to go through all the complications and then have them tell me after they received it that they cannot fix it under warranty because it was taken apart already then stick me with a repair bill along with the return shipping costs. I can buy a new monitor for that matter.

Otherwise I have found a couple sources on the net that will sell the transformer but it's not a new part. It's a recovered part from another monitor and they want top dollar for it.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

HAHA wow. Not much help huh? I have already paid for 3 different inverter boards off ebay and none of them worked so I'm just going to give up and send it in for replacement. I'm pretty sure they will take it back because I was very careful with mine and it doesn't look like it was opened up (I did lose a screw though).

Figured shipping will be $30... which is cheaper then the inverter board itself. Wish I found out it was still under warranty before tinkering with it... but that's just the way I am, have to fix things myself.

If you want I can send you the inverter board I received that failed to turn on. Maybe the transformer on that is fine. If you tell me how I can find that out for you I can ship it to you and will only charge for a shipping fee.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have an Acer 24 inch of the same vintage as you.
There appears to be a problem with the backlight (same as you).

Half of the monitor (left side) is significantly darker than the right side.
At the same time as I discovered this problem, I also noticed a very faint buzzing noise coming from the monitor.

I am fairly geeky and will have a go at fixing the problem myself rather than just buying a new monitor. But opening up monitors is beyond my experience so far.

I live in London, UK (funny that you live in London, Canada, lol!)
I just emailed Acer UK tech support, let's see what they say, although frankly I'd be very surprised if Acer will help me out with a new backlight but I will contact them to find out.

I have one 22 inch Acer which has lasted 4 years. But my 24 inch Acer which I bought at the same time died after 2 years and I had no patience to support or fix so I bought another one. That's the one I'm having trouble with now but this time I won't just take the extra cost.

This monitor also has a problem recognising that it is recieving a signal if I switch it off while the PC is working. I have to fiddle with the signal input a bit first, before it recognises the signal.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
Registered Member

Update on the above:
=============================

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

Your machine will now need to be brought into our repair centre for further evaluation and possible repair. I have logged a case for your repair under the Case ID Number: xxxxxxxxx

In accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Acer’s Warranty you are advised to sufficiently package your unit/component for transit. This means that the unit has to have enough packaging (at least 5cm of bubble wrap around the whole unit/component either side) and be in a suitable box (strong box not flimsy) to sustain the trip in a couriers van. If we receive your unit with damage caused by insufficient packaging the repairs will be chargeable.
To return your faulty Acer product, please follow these short steps:

You will need to call our couriers, DHL, to arrange collection of your item on 0870 240 0555.
Select option 1 for booking a collection, and then option 1 to book it on our account.

You will be required to answer some short questions. Please have access to the following information before calling:

1) Contract Number: xxxxxxxx
2) Your Name:
3) When asked if you are “Sending or Receiving” Advise you are: Returning to Infoteam
4) If they ask if its an authorised return: Yes
5) If they ask if you have a Parcel Label: No
6) Your Telephone Number:
7) Your collection Post Code and Building Number:
8) The service type is: Standard / One Parcel
9) Package Contents details: Acer Monitor, Model xxxx
10) Return Delivery Address: Acer Warranty Account, Infoteam, Mitac House, Nedge Hill, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 3AH

When sending the monitor:

Please do not include any accessories (leads, mains adaptors, PC etc). Also if possible remove the stand/base from your monitor.
Please ensure it is safely and securely packed to survive a trip in a couriers van. For advice on how to package the machine, please go to:
http://www.dhl.co.uk/publish/gb/en/i...tips.high.html
Also, do not send the original box back with the monitor as all incoming boxes are recycled, so if you wish to keep your original box please do not send it in with the monitor.

On the box you send it in, please make sure the following details are written clearly:

Our Address Details: Acer Warranty Account, Infoteam, Mitac House, Nedge Hill, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 3AH
Your Case ID Number (see above).
Consignment Number that DHL will provide you.

Please can you write your name, home address and Case ID on a piece of paper to identify your machine when we receive it.

Please ensure you send your product in, within a reasonable timeframe ie: 1 month

Please keep the above details safe for future reference.

Please Note: By sending your unit in for repair you agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the limited warranty included with your Acer product.

Regards
Jonathan
Acer Technical Support Team
Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hmm I saw somewhat the same generic respons form sent to me as well.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
Registered Member

CHECK THIS OUT!

I found a suitable replacement part. There may afterall be many other like numbered parts that would fix this. I just got lucky as another local guy that also repairs monitors just happened to have a similar part in his parts stock. Even he had no idea he had it!

See in the pic's the part numbering is slightly different and since the date code is from 2005, these have been around for a while really.

Replacement part soldered in...

Got it all together and...

Voila!! ITS ALIVE!!

Beauty eh!

I paid all of $10 Canadian and it's fixed.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

Nice Job! I just spent $15 for shipping and its being shipped now. Should receive it by July 7th. Didn't say anything about it missing a screw or being opened or anything. I have no idea where I would find a replacement transformer.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
Registered Member

Pin

Just in case anyone wants to try out the solution of replacing the CCFL transformer, it can be obtained at

http://www.lcdparts.net/TransformerDetail1.aspx?PartNumber=8TC00332

Cost is about US$25.00. Little steep but worth it for a freely acquired monitor.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 AM   #20
Registered Member

Hey! Thanks for the thread. A coworker's just went out this morning and after tearing it apart it appeared to have the same issue with the transformer. Although I'd watch out for those 220uF 25v caps in the bottom left hand of that picture, they were bulged badly. Its being sent in for warranty replacement, but I thought I'd let y'all know about the bad caps.