Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Will a PCIE 2.0 or 2.1 x16 card work on a motherboard that only has a PCIE x16 slot?

This is a discussion on Will a PCIE 2.0 or 2.1 x16 card work on a motherboard that only has a PCIE x16 slot? within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am getting conflicting info on this subject from other sites. If I have an older mobo that has a

Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am getting conflicting info on this subject from other sites. If I have an older mobo that has a PCIE x16 slot, can I upgrade to a PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 2.1 video card? I've read on other sites that I can upgrade to 2.0 as long as I pick a passive, non-cooled card. Most say that this is correct with 2.0 but I haven't found anything saying this is true w/2.1. I'm really confused, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You don't need to use a passive card. 2.1 cards are backwards compatible, so if your motherboard can take a PCIEx16 2.0 card, then it can take a 2.1. The performance will be the same, and the card will run at the same bandwidth. The extra features found on 2.1 cards haven't been fully implemented yet, they're for future PCIE 3.0 motherboards.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi there,
I have bought a ATI HD Radeon 5770 which is a pci-e 2.1 graphics card, but my motherboard is just a x16 pci-e. my motherboard is a Asrock conroe FSB 1333 seen with specs here ASRock > Products > ConRoe1333-DVI/H

i have plugged it in, no picture will come from the back of it, windows won't recognise it, and i have not got the option to switch from internal graphics to pci-e express in BIOS, only a preferred option which i've selected and i've still nothing.

Any help guys?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

@ FezBear
Please start your own post and include your PC specs.
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

@tyree
sorry man, noob :/
Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

In addition to Koala's statements, PCIE 2.0 is also backwards compatible with 1.0.

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hhnq04 is offline   Reply With Quote