Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

What video card can i run w/ my pc specs/PSU

This is a discussion on What video card can i run w/ my pc specs/PSU within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK heres my current PC specs... Im wanting to upgrade my Video card cause im a big FPS gamer, but

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

OK heres my current PC specs... Im wanting to upgrade my Video card cause im a big FPS gamer, but im not sure what card to get cause of my power supply... Right now i have a KFA2 8500GT 512mb DDR2 video card and its pretty crappy, i can only play games at 1024x768 on medium graphics...

-Elitegroup A770M-A mother board
-AMD 4000+ duel core 64bit @ 2.8ghz
-4gigs DDR2 PC6400
-CD/DVD drive
-40gig hard drive (old one crashed i know its small)
-8500GT 512mb ddr2 video card
-5 fans for cooling, light up with blue l.e.d.s but the l.e.d.s are powered -when the fans moves so doesnt use more power..
-Running windows XP 64bit

Heres my power supply and a bar

450watts total power
+3.3V/26A +5V/35A +12V/15A -12V/.8A -5V/.5A +5VSB/2A

I was looking at getting a 8800GTS, 9800GT Ecopower saver, 9600GT... I found a 8800GTS on craigslist for 100bux so i want to get this card....The thing is i dont understand the whole volts to amps.. The card says 12vots at 26 amps...but i dont understand the volts and amp bar to know if my power supply can run this... I also dont have any 6pin power connectors anywhere in my computer, just an extra regular power that plugs into a cd/dvd drive or hard drive.....Ive seen adapters but dont know where to get one if i need to get one.....or what cards need a 6pin connector... Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Basically that power supply you got now isn't going to power anything higher then what you have. For the high end cards that you are looking at such as the 9800 gt you would need a quality 600w or higher power supply with 26 amps on the 12v rail and an 80+ certification. Quality brand for power supplies would include corsair , coolermaster , pc power and cooling , silverstone , thermaltakes toughpower , or seasonic.

emosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hmm... i saw a 9800GT 1gig DDR3 256bit made by BFG that was called Ecoline or something thats a low power video card, on bestbuy site it says it only needs a 250watt, on the box it says 350watt, and it doesnt use no extra power to plug in.... So i cant use the power supply i have right now on any better card then my crappy 8500GT? Is my power supply that bad? i thought the watts was decent at least
Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Watts isn't everything , you can easily buy 1000w power supplies for 20$. However , these units are made from cheap parts and do not actually produce 1000w. The efficiency is usually bad and typically the power supply only produces about half the power. When overloaded these units will burn out quickly possibly taking the computer with it. Thats why most of the powersupply brands I recommended are more expensive because they actually are decent units that produce the advertised wattage and are made from decent parts.

Same with the manufacturer power recommendation. They low ball the recommendation to appeal to a larger market , and in turn sell more cards. If your power supply is not good enough and fails , they could care less because it's not there product that failed.

Not a day goes by in this forum that I don't see somebody trying to run a high end card on a junk power supply thinking they can go the cheap way and it'll work. If you run that 9800 (even the low spec one) on that power supply , it will eventually burn out.
emosun is offline   Reply With Quote