Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Video card gone from device manager, computer turns on and off before booting

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Panther063 
#1 ·
So this question is sort of all over the place.

I have an MSI GT60-0ND
The video card I'm having issues with is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M.

1) I started getting TDR failure BSODs when using my NVIDIA card. As far as could tell, I wasn't having problems with my Intel video card, but who knows now. I did the whole reinstall drivers with ccleaner and driver sweeper a couple times, but that never solved the problem. So, I was told to do a refresh of my computer which brings me to

2) I tried to install the drivers again, but I kept getting a message saying that the hardware was not found (I used both NVIDIA's and MSI's driver installers). Then I noticed that the card itself wasn't showing up in the device manager. I tried a couple fixes from this thread. I wasn't able to find anything in the BIOS that even hinted at an option (Aptio Setup Utility), so I threw up my hands and did a fresh Windows reinstall.

3) I noticed there was something wrong with my Windows install. A command prompt opened near the beginning and the screen to select language was all black, and I noticed my fan was now running high the whole time, even if I just left it idle. When turning on, the power light would click on and then immediately click off once or twice before booting, and it seemingly randomly would boot to the BIOS. And the video card was still missing from the device manager. I've done another full reinstall, but nothing's changed.

I have noticed that there's now a second Intel graphics card entry that grayed out (connected to the same port, so it doesn't seem to be the NVIDIA card) but it might be nothing since I also see a bunch of dummy processor entries. I did notice that once it showed a GTX 800M, not a 675M, but it just disappeared. Driver installation still fails with everything I've tried and the fan's still chugging away.

Attached is a picture of the device manager and my temp readings.

Can anyone offer me any insight on where to go now?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Update: After giving it the night off, I revisited my computer and now I inexplicably see two entries for my Intel graphics, one Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and one NVIDIA 675M entry. The Basic Display Adapter is the NVIDIA card as the instance path shows (attached), but I'm just not sure what to do now. Also, the fan doesn't kick up to high any more.

I still can't install with the NVIDIA installer, though the driver details says it's there, albeit disconnected.

Inf file editing was one idea, but I can't seem to figure out the format, since it's different from what the online tutorials seem to show (also attached). Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Update: After giving it the night off, I revisited my computer and now I inexplicably see two entries for my Intel graphics, one Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and one NVIDIA 675M entry. The Basic Display Adapter is the NVIDIA card as the instance path shows
Actually the two shown display adapters are separate entities.
One is the onboard Intel Graphics in the CPU, the other is the discrete Graphics by Nvidia.
It appears the Nvidia graphic card is using the Microsoft basic drivers and the correct driver isn't found.
Try to reinstall from the manufacturers site and let them auto detect if possible.

#5 ·
So I rechecked and tried "Update Driver" for the entry that correctly lists my card, and both the automatic and manual install says that the driver software for it is up to date. Same for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Also I noticed the entry under the events list for the NVIDIA card (attached) where it says "Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service BasicDisplay for Device Instance," but I'm not sure what to do with that.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.