Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Trying to capture video from my tv to my Laptop

This is a discussion on Trying to capture video from my tv to my Laptop within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a video capture "card." Well, it's not a circuit board, it's this: TV + PC Expert: Video Capture

Old 09-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have a video capture "card." Well, it's not a circuit board, it's this:

TV + PC Expert: Video Capture (EZ Grabber2)

Here's the manual for the EZ Grabber 1, for some reason it's longer than the one I have. Notice on page 12 it says you can capture video live from your tv, which is exactly what I am trying to do.

http://www.mygica.com/down-eng/manua...bbermanual.pdf

When I connect the EZ grabber to my PC, and the other end to the out composite jacks on tv, and open the software- on page 9 of the manual, I get a blue screen when using either the NTSC_M and NTSC_M_J video standards (I live in the United States) No video, just audio. I know it's the not the device itself, as I can display video from my VCR and record it just fine. I've been in contact with someone from mygica, and I can tell it's in some asian country, as there are asian language characters in the email, and he doesn't seem to speak English very well and isn't understanding what I am telling him.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Check the TV manual. Most TV's do not have a composite (yellow RCA) video output. For that matter, TV's usually don't have ANY video outputs. All of the connectors are used for video input. No reason to output video for display to another device from a device that displays video.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
Check the TV manual. Most TV's do not have a composite (yellow RCA) video output. For that matter, TV's usually don't have ANY video outputs. All of the connectors are used for video input. No reason to output video for display to another device from a device that displays video.
It does say the three jacks are for video output on the back, the yellow, the red and the white, the latter two for audio. it would seem very strange it had a video input grouped right next to two audio outputs.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

TV brand and model?

Google is your Friend!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
TV brand and model?
Toshiba 32HL66
Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

OK. Those outputs are for recording purposes. I can find no specifics in the manual on it's use. Test with different inputs, such as a regular TV broadcast. I'm almost positive there will be limitations on the output. Such as it will likely not output the video from the HDMI input, nor any cable/SAT channel that carry the copy protection flag.

Google is your Friend!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If this doesn't work is there any Hard Drive/DVR type thing I could use? My DVR is fine for recording shows, except it has not such a big hard drive, and I can't seem to transfer shows from it (at least in file form, I have to let the whole show play and my DVD player record it)

If I had something say to substitute for the DVD player, instead of recording to a DVD it could record it to a hard drive. Then, from there I could hook it via USB to my computer and transfer the files to one to either my 2TB or 3TB hard drives.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

DVR type devices don't record/store content in a format usable on your PC. Most devices (Tivo for example), have software to transfer files from the device to a PC. But the file then has to be converted into a format usable by the PC. So it isn't any more work to play the content on the DVR and then record on the PC (using EZ Grabber - just connect it directly, not through the TV) or the DVD recorder.

Google is your Friend!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yes, I did do this. The EZ grabber does work when I connect it to the out ports on my DVR/Cable box, and the other end to the EZ Grabber. I'm wondering though, I've had avi files of TV episodes that are good quality and only take up about 350 MB's, whereas an hour show recorded with my PC played from the DVR will usually be about 3GB's.

Quote:
Most devices (Tivo for example), have software to transfer files from the device to a PC. But the file then has to be converted into a format usable by the PC. So it isn't any more work to play the content on the DVR and then record on the PC (using EZ Grabber - just connect it directly, not through the TV) or the DVD recorder.
Well yes, it would be more work. Rather, more time definitely because transferring a video file from the Tivo to your PC is a lot quicker than having to play the whole video and record it with your PC.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

The file size is a byproduct of the video codec used, and the specs (ie: resolution, bit rate, audio type, audio bit rate, etc.). So you can't directly compare different types of files, especially by size.

The files will transfer faster directly from the Tivo, but they will not be playable. They will have to be converted into a PC format. So play and record, or transfer and convert. Depending on the PC specs, conversion could take a lot longer than a simple capture in real time.

Google is your Friend!