Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (8GBx2)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: Corsair GS700
Case: Raidmax Serian
DVD: Asus Something
Other: Gigabyte Wifi Adapter (Intel AC7260)
Also has Intel closed loop liquid cooler and decent quality fans.

Issues started a few days ago when I was playing Far Cry 4 and the system just rebooted after around 30 minutes of play time. For testing purposes I've been using EVGA OC Scanner X and Furmark to get 100% GPU Usage to test for crashing.

I'm getting two types of crashes:
A) System just restarts no BSOD etc, just as if restart button was pushed
B) Screen goes to standby or the screen changes to a solid colour (the colour seems to be related to what was previously on the screen). Also when I had two screens in they changed to seperate colours (pink and yellow). The system is then unresponsive until I manually power it off with the button.

Crash type A) is more common then B) so far. What I know/have tried:

- I was using Windows 10, to try eliminate driver/os possibility I installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 followed by Nvidia Driver and Furmark. System still crashed.
- Reseated GPU/swapped power cable to GPU/different power socket, still crashed.
- Supplemented power to GPU by supplying 6+2 power with a different PSU, still crashed.
- Measured 12V rail voltage during stress test, is a solid 12.X volts.
- Tried running a CPU stress test without the GPU, no crash after 1 hour+.
- Forced fans from auto speed to 70%+ (usually they reach 50%), still crashed.
- Temperatures under high load (EVGA OC Scanner X + Prime95) are 70 degrees Celsius GPU (it autos to stay at 70), CPU at 55 (it autos to stay at 55), motherboard is 45, PSU is not hot enough to spin fan although.

Basically at this point I think the GPU is the issue. I physically cannot fit the GPU in the other computer in the house though to test unfortunately.

Ideas/thoughts? :huh:

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Set the gpu fan to 100% just to make sure it isn't giving a false temp. It's designed to run at 100% and only goes less to spare noise so don't worry about it breaking.

Your power supply fan should always be spinning , if it isn't then that would be an obvious problem.

Also if you're overclocking anything then return it to stock. Also try older drivers and not the latest , sometimes the latest isn't the best.

#3 ·
Overclocking is off (other then the default overclock on GPU). Strix 970 sounds a bit like a turbine at 100% but I upped it to 70% before and GPU reported 55 degrees instead the usual 70 degrees. I'll put it at 100% tomorrow (don't want to disturb people at midnight).

Corsair GS series have zero rpm fan modes in which they don't start up until loaded enough or hit high enough temperature, can try earlier drivers but my system was stable on the same driver for the past month before a few days ago.

I could try underclock the GPU as well to see if it does anything I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.