Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sometimes no video output on boot

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
I just built a new computer. Components are: Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, intel i7 950 processor, 12 GB of Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz memory (3 dimms), 2 Western digital 500gb caviar black hard drives, and an MSI n201 mdig/3 graphics card. My question is this: after about a month of no problems yesterday the following started happening. I got up in the morning booted the computer up with no problems. I went out on a job for a couple of hours and came back home. When I went to boot the computer up the computer booted but with no video output. I know the computer booted by observing the hard drive activity light. I tried a different monitor that I know was good and had the same problem. I then reseated the video card with the same problem. I took another video card out of an older computer - btw this is the same MSI video card and I got video output. Subsequently I put the original card back in and it works again. Is this card not compatible with the chipset on the motherboard or is it just too low ended to run on this system. I also realized the original card might be defective. I purchased this card with the intention of replacing it with something better down the road. Any suggestions? All of the components on this computer are brand new.

#3 ·
I would first suspect the video slot though as much as a cat hair could fly across the card or a stick of ram and the same thing would happen. I notice you have a second pci-x video slot on the board, have you tried using that? Has the issue repeated itself since the new card started working again?

#4 ·
I did put the original card in and it worked again. Right now I have the old card in the new computer, and the new card - again they are both MSI n210 mdig/3 video cards - in the old computer to see if the problem follows the card. I was also wondering if the this video card isn't getting enough power on the boot to initialize. My psu has power cables for these PCI express cards, but this MSI card is older and is getting it's power just from the PCI slot. I'll let you know what I find out. You guys might be right about the cat hair. We have two cats. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.