Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Video Card or Motherboard Problem?

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I had a blank screen on my monitor this morning. The Monitor works I have tried it on 2 different computers.

I'm thinking my old Nvidia 8800GT has finally gone on me?

How can I tell if my 8800GT has gone on me or if the PCIe slot on the motherboard has a problem?

The other 2 computers I tried the monitor on are laptops so slotting the 8800 in there isn't going to work.

any ideas?

cheers

Uly

#2 · (Edited)
Re: Video Card or Motherboard Problem?

How can I tell if my 8800GT has gone on me or if the PCIe slot on the motherboard has a problem?
Test the graphics card in a known good system. However, there is a third component you have not mentioned which may well have failed; your power supply.

In order for us to provide better assistance, please post the make and model of your system components including motherboard, memory, processor, power supply and graphics. If yours is an OEM build (such as Dell or Acer), post the make/model of the computer and that of any non-stock upgrades or modifications.

PS: On a cold startup, does the system POST? ie do you get any display or beeps whatsoever? Do any fans or lights turn on?

#3 ·

I don't have access to a known good system unforunteately.

Ok now I am worried. Now the pc is turning on for a few seconds then turning off then turning back on.

There is no beeping and no screen or post screen at all.The case fans all turn on. The motherboard lights turn on (2 red,2 green). The Cpu Fan doesn't turn on.

It started of yesterday when the pc would boot up then freeze. I got it started and it worked all day and last night. Then the monitor wouldn't show anything but the pc was working and I could access my network to my desktop (Pc with no monitor) today by the laptop. Now it has the problem with it turning off after a few seconds!

My Pc specs:

Antec 900 case
Gigabyte s775 GA-EP45T-UD3LR core 2 motherboard
Intel s775 core 2 Quad core Q9400
Kingston 4gb ddr3 1333 (2 sticks)
Antec 1000watt truepower Quattro Psu
Geforce 8800 Video Card
Win xp Pro
2x sata hd

Cheers

Uly

#6 ·

check the power plugs are in the m/b sockets securely
I double checked all the plugs on the motherboard and harddrives ect and the all are ok.

check the cpu plug is also secure
Seems to be ok.

is the m/b light glowing
the 4 Phase led lights (2 green, 2 red) glow for 2 seconds then the whole systems turns off and then restarts.

try another cable from the wall to the power supply
Tried another cable, but it didn't make any difference.

try a cmos reset
I don't know how to do that...What does it do?

Try each stick of RAM individually and see if the results are the same
Tried that and it didn't make any difference.

Check for any blown capacitors on your motherboard
I checked the Motherboard and graphics card and I couldn't see any capacitors with bumps on the top of the capacitors.

Uly

#8 ·

check the m/b manual for what the lights are saying
The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the
number of lighted LEDs.

check for a bios update
I don't think a bios update is possible because the Pc on powers up and stays on for 2 seconds before shutting down and restarting

Uly

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.