Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Upgrade/Install problems

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 ·
I am having a problem installing a MSI GeForce GT610 graphics card.

With the card installed, I am not getting any output to my monitor using either the hdmi or vga cable.

Kind of hard to finish the install when you can not see.

Please ask for any details that you might need to help me find the problem

Thanks in advance for any help or reply's

motherboard - gigabyte ga-ma785gm-us2h
cpu -amd athlon ll x2 240
psu - seasonic S12 ll 520w
on board graphics - ati radeon hd 4200

#4 ·
Re: Upgrade/Install problems

You can install the drivers it needs in Safe Mode.

Also the AMD video drivers may be interfering with the NVidia card.
How would I tell if the AMD drivers are interfering?

It's hard to tell anything when I can not see anything. I guess I could try to disable the amd and retry the install.

Usually a good idea to use cards in the same family (ie: ATI/AMD video cards on an ATI/AMD motherboard and vice versa).
I do understand, but for the price of the card (free) I thought I would give it a try.

#7 · (Edited)

The only AMD drivers that could interfere would be the AMD/ATI HD 4200 graphics drivers - if the driver + the Catalyst Control Center was installed. The premise that it's better to run an AMD card on and AMD chipset board is dead wrong. Patently false, though you will hear it from time to time in forums even from experienced people.The thing to watch out for is only conflicting video drivers. It's perfectly fine to run (example) and FX6300/Asus 970a motherboard with a GTX 760 - there is no potential from cross-conflict, and zero degradation of performance of any kind vs.an equal AMD card. If your case you have the 785GT AMD chipset with the HD 4200 onboard - so any conflict like I said would be video only. NOT the Microsoft default drivers, but video specific drivers installed with ATI-AMD Catalyst Control (as I mentioned before).

A good card would for your system would be something like a GTX 760 or R9 270x if your budget will allow. Even a GTX 660 would work well

By the way how is that Patriot memory running? I'm the one that sold it to you I changed my user name. I still have some compatible CPU's available (4 ATM - 2 quads and 2 - 6 bangers). I mention this because with your processor looking for a higher end GPU you will see some bottlenecking in gaming - resolution depending of course.

#8 ·

The only AMD drivers that could interfere would be the AMD/ATI HD 4200 graphics drivers - if the driver + the Catalyst Control Center was installed. The premise that it's better to run an AMD card on and AMD chipset board is dead wrong. Patently false, though you will hear it from time to time in forums even from experienced people.The thing to watch out for is only conflicting video drivers. It's perfectly fine to run (example) and FX6300/Asus 970a motherboard with a GTX 760 - there is no potential from cross-conflict, and zero degradation of performance of any kind vs.an equal AMD card. If your case you have the 785GT AMD chipset with the HD 4200 onboard - so any conflict like I said would be video only. NOT the Microsoft default drivers, but video specific drivers installed with ATI-AMD Catalyst Control (as I mentioned before).

So what would you recommend to get this card working? I would like to see what this card could do for my system for kicks and giggles.

By the way how is that Patriot memory running? I'm the one that sold it to you I changed my user name. by the way I still have some CPU's available. I mention this because with your processor looking for a higher end GPU you will see some bottlenecking in gaming - resolution depending of course.
Patriots are running strong with no problems.

I have been thinking about a new cpu, but not sure how much money I want to put into upgrades for this old motherboard. The graphics card was free so I thought I would try it.

#9 ·

Well, try the card in another system to verify that the NV 610 is in working order. Your PSU is a great brand Seasonic so you 'should' be ok there. It's possible you have a dud card. Check that if you had ever installed any video specific drivers before for your HD 4200 --- if you have them on your system uninstall them. You can also try blowing (very carefully) your PCIe slot with canned air, and carefully but firmly reseating your NV 610 card. It might not be making proper contact. If you have the HD 4200 drivers installed all you have to do is run the CCC (catalyst Control Uninstaller) and when it comes up it will ask what you want to uninstall. Pick only the video -- reboot.

#12 ·

Well, try the card in another system to verify that the NV 610 is in working order. Your PSU is a great brand Seasonic so you 'should' be ok there. It's possible you have a dud card. Check that if you had ever installed any video specific drivers before for your HD 4200 --- if you have them on your system uninstall them. You can also try blowing (very carefully) your PCIe slot with canned air, and carefully but firmly reseating your NV 610 card. It might not be making proper contact. If you have the HD 4200 drivers installed all you have to do is run the CCC (catalyst Control Uninstaller) and when it comes up it will ask what you want to uninstall. Pick only the video -- reboot.

After uninstalling the video drivers for the hd 4200, the install for the new card went smooth. Everything works like it should as far as I can tell.

I will say that I can tell a big difference in running the 610gt vs. hd4200.

Thanks to all who replied in helping with this.

#11 · (Edited)

^ yeah true, and I noticed many years ago Jim even with the old Nvidia chipset motherboards that if you did a 'total' driver install,with many AMD boards with onboard video (not to be confused with new AMD boards with APU), that if you wanted to install a ATI card you would have to both, go through the total NV uninstaller, and then also use driver cleaner to manually remove only the onboard video driver, and all the associated driver registry entries.

Then you are all clear usually. As you know well onboard (as in motherboard video) is nearly gone nowdays, but there are still plenty of slightly older mainboards just like this one out there, and there are still 760G AMD boards sold with onboard HD 4200 on major websites.

So to address something you said in part it's true it's IS easier to use and AMD-ATI card on a system that has an AMD chipset with onboard video, because the native aspect of both the GPU and mobo installer negates any reason to clean any driver, be it manually or auto.

When you install an NV card in that type system, many times if a full install was done on the CCC with video driver included, you have to then go through the CCC uninstaller, and then manually pick the GPU driver only for uninstall, reboot, and then run a driver cleaner tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.