Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

[SOLVED] trying to upgrade computer

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] trying to upgrade computer within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to upgrade my computer Sony Vaio VGC-RA840G There have been no updates so far except for a

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to upgrade my computer
Sony Vaio VGC-RA840G

There have been no updates so far except for a new hard drive November 2010. I really do not use this hard drive as I have three seagate 1.5 TB that I use to store any and all information, 1 for docs as I do research for others, 1 for videos and basic stuff personally, 1 for pics that I take for the research.

This is what I do know that I have:

Processor:

2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Hard Drive:

TigerJet HardDisk -- drive 7, rev v2.0

Main Board:

Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. P5LP-VX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 1001 05/18/2005

Memory:

1024 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
Slot 'A3' is Empty

Display/Video/Graphic:

RADEON X300 Series [Display adapter]

Display/Monitor:

Westinghouse WDE LCM-19v1 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 16843009, July 2005)

We are now getting more into gaming and videos - 3d tv purchase this past week. We are on the net 24/7 as we do work from home 85% of the time.

I refuse to buy another computer!!!! I love my vaio. I would rather spend money over the next few months and rebuild this one to be faster for gaming, streaming, etc. and more up to date than what we currently have operating. (I have not upgraded from xp as I bought two laptops one 7 and 1 vista and returned them both as I really didn't like them too much. I will eventually break and buy the upgrade but have not done so as of yet.)

I would appreciate help to do this. I have no problems taking the thing apart and replacing the items necessary BUT I do not want to 'hunt and peck' my way thru this. I want to purchase compatibile items the first time, make it faster the first time rather than become frustated and just throw money out the window. Whatever needs to be done, memory, video, cpu, mobo, blah, blah.... I just really can't see buying brand new when we have a base to work with that is not bad, just that we are suddenly outgrowing it.

Any help, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

You're using older technology and an OEM PC. Both of those factors make it difficult to upgrade and not a wise use of your money.
OEM PC's use Mobo/Bios made for them further hindering upgrades.
What precisely do you want to upgrade?
In reality, the best solution would be to build a new PC.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

ok there where do i look to start
Old 05-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

If you're referring to building new we have a suggested build list with prices from $500 to about $2000. All use top quality parts and all are upgradeable.
If you want to mix/match parts just post your proposal and we can tell you if it is doable/advisable.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ly-448272.html

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Yea I wouldn't put a dime into your current machine , definitely build a new one.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

thanks any way went to another forum and they explained what I wnated in the first place NOT a new computer.......