Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

[SOLVED] MSI HD5770 Fail

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] MSI HD5770 Fail within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I'm having a problem with my MSI HD5770 Hawk. When I'm playing a game the fan of my videocard

Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello

I'm having a problem with my MSI HD5770 Hawk. When I'm playing a game the fan of my videocard spontaneously rotates way faster. If my fan does this, the screen becomes black and stayes black until I reboot my pc. Sometimes if I turn on my pc, the fan of the videocard starts spinning that fast, and the screen remains black. I have to open my computer and put my fingers on the fan of the videocard to let my computer startup.
I really have no idea how it comes. It is not the case that it is only happening with heavy 3d games (e.g. Assassin's Creed: Revelations with highest settings) but also with Football Manager 2012 (graphical very easy).
My specs are:
3GB RAM
2.66Ghz CPU (Intel E8200)
MSI HD5770 Hawk
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
F-Secure
Please help. I can't play any game for more then 1 minute before it crashes and it is becoming very annoying. Thanks in advance

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The fan revving up may indicate an overheating issue. What make, model and wattage power supply are you using? Use this: Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.6.2 | techPowerUp to check the GPUs temp.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for responding. My powersupply is from FSP Group inc. and the model is ATX-250PA. I'm not sure to tell you the wattage but I think it's 250W. The temperature while gaming isn't going higher then 65 degrees. But do I have to get the temperatures during normal usage, or while playing games?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There's your problem. 250w is wayyyyyyy underpowered for what your running. The recommended wattage for that card is 450w so you add 30% to that and you should be at 650w. I would stop using it untill you get a good quality power supply before you damage the graphics card. A 250w PSU was not designed to run Pci-e graphic cards. There first, is not Pci-e pwr connector so you are using a molex to pci-e connector and secondly there is not enough amps on the +12v rail to run it.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes now you're saying that, it's very logical. I will search for a powersupply for my pc. Is there any powersupply which is recommended by you?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Corsair (not the GS or GX), XFX or Seasonic. I run the HD 5770 card also and the first thing I did was upgrade my PSU to a Corsair TX750 before I installed the card. 750w is overkill for that card, but 650w would be more than enough.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

I think it becomes a XFX. Thank you very much!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your welcome and XFX are great power supplies.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

1 final question:
After looking around in my city where to buy this PSU, I found a shop where they sell and build in the PSU. (I am not such a computerexpert to do it myself so I think it's better to be done)
The only problem is that there are no Corsair, XFX or Seasonic for sell. I found another 650W which was from Cooler Master. To be more specific the 650W 80+ GX model. Do you have any experience with Cooler Master or can you tell me to buy this one or not?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

That particular PSU is not junk but not top quality either. Local shops tend to sell lower quality PSU's for the higher profit margin.
Purchasing online would be my suggestion.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Registered Member

Alright now I know enough. Thank you very much for your help!