Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

[SOLVED] Monitor displays intermittently

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Monitor displays intermittently within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For the last 4 days, I have been having an issue where my monitor will not power up properly. I

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

For the last 4 days, I have been having an issue where my monitor will not power up properly. I have a dual monitor setup. 2xSamsung 225BW 22" monitors ran by an eVGA 8800GTS 512 video card. Windows XP SP3 fully updated.

Last night, I went to bed and I turned off both monitors as I always do. This morning, I get up and turn them on, the main monitor powers up for a split second where I can see my desktop and icons and then I lose picture. The power button is still lit blue indicating the monitor is still powered up, just no picture.

Sometimes powering down and up the monitor works, sometimes I have to do that up to 5 times before it works. My second monitor works fine. Once I get the monitor on, it works fine. I can go all day and have no issues with it. Its just when its been off for an extended amount of time.

I have tried setting "Turn monitor off" to never under power options in the control panel. That did not help.

I'm guessing its a defective monitor but I wanted to get a different viewpoint. Any help would be great.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Try using the suspect monitor by itself.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Custom built machine.

Intel Core 2 Duo - e6400 2.13ghz (OC'd to 3ghz)
EVGA 8800GTS 512
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
2gb of OCZ Titanium ram
2x WD black 1TB HDD's
1x WD Cavier 500gb HDD
OCZ GameXstream 700w PS
Antec 900 Mid-tower case

I will test the main monitor by itself and get back to you.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

A bit of an update.

I got up this morning and as usual, the monitor came on for a split second and then went off again. I had to power it off and on about 10 times to get it to stay on. Its working fine now and will so for the rest of the day. Its only after it has been off for some time that this happens.

Anyway, as mentioned before, I use 2 monitors (both the same make and model). The second monitor had winamp running on it so I dragged it into the first monitor and I could see a very faint outline of winamp moving on the main monitor as I was doing this.

I hope this will help. I will try the main monitor by itself ASAP and get back to you. Thanks.

I tried the main monitor by itself but had the same issue.

Shameless bump. Still can't figure this one out. :(
Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
Hardware Tech Team

My System

If you have tried the monitor alone and still having an issue it seems that there is

a problem with the monitor. Try it on another PC to see if issue persists.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

I know I'm digging this one up from the grave but I found a solution and fix to this problem. I was posting here about another problem when I remembered this post. Don't mean to necro the post, just wanted to share my solution...

http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php/samsung-214t-repair/

Basically my issue relates to ruptured capacitors inside the monitor. The above link details the issue and has pictures to show you exactly which capacitors you need to replace. You can buy them through that website but it would likely be much cheaper to get them at a local vendor.

I can confirm that I replaced the 5 capacitors in question and my monitor is back and working in tip-top shape.

Hope this helps someone :)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Thank for posting your fix.