Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

[SOLVED] Monitor Display too bright

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Monitor Display too bright within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just had the motherboard replaced on a Dell Dimension 4600, and I also replaced the power supply. Now the

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I just had the motherboard replaced on a Dell Dimension 4600, and I also replaced the power supply. Now the color on my monitor seems different, too bright for me. As far as I can tell there are no brightness adjustment settings on my monitor, I'm just wondering if it may be something with the video card or drivers. (Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro)

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I haven't run NVIDIA drivers that old in a long time, but NVIDIA drivers have included a brightness setting for the monitor for a long time. You can make adjustments with them if the monitor doesn't have any controls. Just go to the NVIDIA control panel for your video card and dig around in there. There should be monitor brightness and color controls.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the info...where do I find the NVIDIA control panel? I can't seem to locate it.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It depends on how old your drivers are. I'm running Vista at the moment so I'll have to do this from memory, but... If they're old ones (they probably are) then right click on an empty area of the Windows desktop and then click "properties". Then select the "Settings" tab. Then click the "Advanced" button. An NVIDIA tab should show up at that point. Once you click it, you have to sift through the options.

If you have newer drivers (I'd doubt it) then you can look in the Control Panel for an NVIDIA icon.

It seems to me that you also used to be able to fire up older NVIDIA control panels by clicking the Windows "Start" and looking through the "All programs" list.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response. I still cannot seem to find a brightness setting anywhere. It's not that bad I guess, I would just like it to be a little darker.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

click on the menu button on the monitor and a box should come up with the ajustments available to you
Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You could try installing these NVIDIA drivers for your card. They're circa 2005 which are the latest for your video card. If your video card is capable of adjusting the monitor brightness then those drivers should be able to do it. If you're already running drivers from NVIDIA then uninstall them first, and then install these new drivers. If you're new to the whole drivers thing there are detailed instructions on how to uninstall and install video drivers here and here.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks, guys. I finally figured it out.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Registered Member

hey dude how did u solve d problem?