Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z77-D3H and Radeon 7850 detecting issues?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Gigabyte Z77-D3H and Radeon 7850 detecting issues? within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I just finished building my first ever PC today. Everything works fine, I have installed Windows 7, antivirus and

Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I just finished building my first ever PC today. Everything works fine, I have installed Windows 7, antivirus and everything that is needed. When I say everything works, I mean except just one extremely annoying problem. My Radeon 7850 just will not be recognised by windows/the motherboard/ whatever is meant to detect it. In the manual for the GPU it says I need to disable the onboard graphics, which I have Intel HD4000, but how do I do this? There doesn't seem to be an option to do so in the BIOS. I tried disabling something like "internal graphics" but that caused massive errors and multiple speaker beeps and no monitor input, requiring a CMOS reset. So how on earth do I disable the integrated graphics, and/or get it to recognise my card, without breaking anything?

Here are my full specs:

Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard

Intel i5-3570k Processor

8GB GSkill Ripjaws RAM

Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB Graphics Card

XFX Pro 650Watts Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

Thanks a lot for any answers, I really need help right now :S

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

The Mobo "should" automatically default to the GPU when it's installed.
Boot to the Bios and select PCI-E as the default Graphics.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Alright, please can you help me discover if it is a faulty card then so I can send it back? First of all, what exactly needs to be plugged in between the monitor and the PC? (I have never used a graphics card before) Because using the ordinary RGB into the motherboard socket, it doesn't detect the card (I soon realised I must need to plug something directly into the card), so I tried having the RGB and a HDMI cable in at the same time, with no luck, then I found the DVI adapter that was included with the card. So, did I do this correctly? I put the RGB cable into the adapter, then put the adapter directly into the graphics card of course, then restarted the PC with no luck, removed and replaced the card with no luck.

So what cables actually need to be used? (and where?)

The fans on the card spin so it is imaginably extremely difficult to determine whether it is broken or not.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

The only way to determine the GPU is faulty would be to try it in another PC.
Have you tried booting to the Bios and select PCI-E as the default Graphics.
Do you have the required 6-pin power connector attached from the PSU to the GPU?
What type of connections are available on your monitor (i.e. VGA-DVI-HDMI)?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

There is no other PC I can access that is anywhere near capable of holding the 500 Watt GPU, I don't think any of them even have graphics card slots.

I have tried changing PCI express to the default graphics, but I have searched the entire BIOS several times over to no avail. I can disable the onboard graphics from the BIOS, which my GPU manual tells me to do, but doing this just makes my speaker beep multiple times indicating there is a graphics problem, then the PC doesn't work on the monitor until I reset the CMOS.

Yes, there is a PCI-E power cable directly from the PSU to the GPU. It certainly has power because the fans spin, which is why I am having an excruciating time trying to determine whether it is the card that is at fault.

My monitor has an RGB and a HDMI connection, (it is just a HD TV really) and my GPU came with an adapter that changes RGB to DVI. I have tried every single possible combination of all these plugged into all combinations of directly into the card and into the motherboard.

Any ideas? This is really stressing me out. I just want to know if I need to send the card back and get a replacement, or if I need to change some random setting in the BIOS, or if for some stupid reason my GPU and mobo won't work together in which case I need to buy a different card.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the help, turned out my graphics card doesn't seem to work in the first slot (PCX16) so I tried it in the X4 and it works! Only problem is, and an extremely annoying one, the card in that slot blocks access to all but one SATA ports! So I can only have my single HDD installed at any one time, that means no disk drive. :S

One last thing then, any ideas on how I could get the HDD and Disk drive working at the same time? Just for the record, there is one other SATA port available, but it seems different and is blue. The HDD did not work in there, but I haven't tried the drive in there yet.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

If the GPU doesn't work in the X16 slot, but will work in another slot, indicates a Mobo problem and I would recommend an RMA.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

What's an RMA? I have sorted the issue by the way, it turned out the disk drive could actually go into the blue port. So there's no problems whatsoever now, just a bit annoyed that either Gigabyte or Sapphire has a problem with the card being in the first slot.

Thanks for all the help, all solved, first PC build complete and working!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for posting back with the resolution and best of luck.

Gear in this thread