Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB failing?

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
My video card had recently been acting strangely. Out of nowhere while playing Half-Life 2, all at once, patches of red, yellow, and light blue colored pixels came up all at the same time and had not gone away since. I tested my computer on a different monitor and identified it's not my monitor thats bad. I checked to see if the card was set in the motherboard properly and that the 6-pin connector was securely connected to my power supply. Upon next start-up I was greeted by a mass of more light blue colored pixels. Although this is little info I have a lot more. Before this has happened a lot has taken affect in my system. I had gotten the card USED upgrading from an HD 4350. About an hour later after operation my system had blacked out (Later found out that my power supply failed. It was believed to be 500W. The video card was at 75*C at the time of psu explosion). I then got another power supply running 750W. After installing the new psu the system ran fine. Video card idled at 40*C and around 55*C when running max on Half-Life 2 on a 1920x1080 resolution. After about an hour and thirty minutes in-game is when the colored blotches of pixels appeared all at once. I don't know if the RAM on my card got damaged from a power surge or something, but this probability gets blocked out from the fact the graphics were fine after getting my pc to work again. Does anyone know what could have caused this? If it's permanent RAM damage then I'm done for since I've spent my last upgrading my system to satisfy my gaming rig needs. I had already uninstalled and reinstalled drivers so it's probably not that. Any suggestions?

PC before upgrade

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom II x4 840 Processor
Biostar N6853 Motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
UNKNOWN PSU/Guessed to be 500W
2x2 Sticks 4GB System RAM

PC after upgrade

ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
750W PSU

I don't know the names of the PSU before and after. The wattage is all I can offer.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB failing?

Please post Make/Model of new 750w PSU. 750w is more than enough, ONLY if it is a decent make/model.

#6 ·

Kentek 750W Gaming 120MM Fan Silent ATX Power Supply PSU 12V

Had to dig out that info. Although I know for sure my card is damaged now. My games started experiencing visual artifacts with vertexs misplaced from their rightful position.

#7 ·

No offence but that PSU is pure junk and would be lucky to push 400w at full load. It's efficiency is rated at 70% which is absolutely terrible for a modern computer. Using very low quality power supplies is what cost you your graphics card. You simply cannot get a quality PSU for 25-35 dollars. See link below for a quality PSU that will last and not damage your other hardware.

Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO750W (P1-750S-NLB9) 750W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

#8 ·

No offence but that PSU is pure junk and would be lucky to push 400w at full load. It's efficiency is rated at 70% which is absolutely terrible for a modern computer. Using very low quality power supplies is what cost you your graphics card. You simply cannot get a quality PSU for 25-35 dollars. See link below for a quality PSU that will last and not damage your other hardware.

Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO750W (P1-750S-NLB9) 750W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
TOTALLY AGREE. Never heard of Kentek but what I can find on the net about it is that it only has 1x PCI-E connector, HUH!! A good quality 750w PSU should at least have 4x PCI-E connectors, my Corsair HX750w has 4x 6+2-pin PCI-E connectors, so there's your answer. That PSU cannot deliver a decent load if it's only got one PCI-E connector. The PSU linked by AMD_MAN is very good and has 4x PCI-E connectors. Upgrade soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.