Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

[SOLVED] 5850 - post but boot problems

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] 5850 - post but boot problems within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Pc problems - Pictures of the problem and some info Basically bought a second hand XFX 5850 card, its preventing

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pc problems - Pictures of the problem and some info

Basically bought a second hand XFX 5850 card, its preventing my pc to boot up 20/21 times as it gives strange glitched screens yet it passes post.

I have a 500w PSU (OCZ) and it has 432W on the 12V rails.
i5-2500k not over clocked
8gb 1600mhz vengeance
M4 SSD
1tb HDD
combo drive

Power is not an issue here but i just want to know if this is a sign of a faulty card as the seller says it worked perfect for him.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Have you tried the GPU in another PC to insure it's not the problem?
PC Your PSU is poor quality and underpowered for the 5850. You should be at 650W with a good quality PSU.
Brand & Model Number of the Mobo?
Is the 8GB of RAM 2x4 or 4x2?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

its 4x2 , sometime the pc boots and everything works fine but it eventually crashes to a vertical screen like in the link ( they are my pictures ).

The psu seems fine, everything powers and posts it all seems ok, my recommended Psu was 370w

I have tried a 8600gt in the current pc and its fine, but this pc im on atm only has a 450w psu so it doesnt have 2x6pin connectors. Im 99.9% sure the card is the problem but someone may have experienced similar.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Yea it is your power supply , even if it isn't there is no way that machine will run correctly with only a 500w.

I know that you don't want the power supply to be the problem , but weather you like it or not it's a problem.

Your not suppose to use the box requirements for a card (easy rule most know) , same with power supply calculators. A single 5850 would need a quality brand 650w+.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

As for any other possibility , try with only one stick of ram (seeing as your using too many of then one can easily be faulty).

Your crash screens also look like driver based crash screens that are typical with ati cards , your ealier crashes in the bios are due to the power supply

1. change power supply
2. try single ram sticks
3. uninstall your nvidia drivers first with a driver cleaning program or the pc won't ever bother booting correctly
Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Everywhere else except techsupport forums says the psu is more than enough
(Eg Asus 5850 with a ModxStream 500w - Overclockers UK Forums)

Also everything ran well for about a day, it crashed during skyrim.

I have tried 1 ram at a time, its not that. By the way its 4gb x 2 not 2gb x 4

I have been speaking to the seller and he says he will RMA it monday and resend a new card.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakDank View Post
Everywhere else except techsupport forums says the psu is more than enough
(Eg Asus 5850 with a ModxStream 500w - Overclockers UK Forums)
Everywhere else doesn't care if your machine gets fixed or not. Here we liked "SOLVED" threads.

Would we bother explaining to you that your power supply is bad if wasn't?

If you actually read this sticky you will learn exactly why we only recommend parts that good and not junk.

Power Supply Information and Selection
Old 02-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

We probably are a bit fussier here than other forums when it comes to psu units, but we also are counseling your pc safety as well because bad psus, harm other components in the system over time since we all know their performance degrades as well.
Even if a new card works for a while, that psu is still inadequate and it will eventually harm other components.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Wouldn't surprise me if it was the PSU. 58XX are very power hungry cards. (I own two)

On the 1/21 successful boots did you try anything demanding?

Side note... in the thread you linked to the OP upgraded to a 700w PSU.

..Notepad++ | CoffeeCup | WAMP | GIMP | VLC | Debut | CometBird | Web Dev
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

our aim is to recommend something that experience shows us works

at the end of the day it is up to you whose advice you take
Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Registered Member

I understand you recommending a better psu - i know it could cut close, i used benchmarks for each of my hardware and at 100% load it uses about 370W which is close the the 430W the psu puts out.
But i also know that there are plenty of people running similar setups on the same psu, the one thing that gets to me ( although i understand why you suggest it ) is how every problem is instantly psu on this forum. I was told on my last thread that my mobo wouldnt run with the psu, and i was on the verge of buying a new psu but instead RMA'd the board and the new one works fine.

Anyhow more info, the first time it did this was when installing windows, the pc rebooted do a gray screen. A hard reset fixed it and windows installed. The second time was after i reset to finish driver/installation/update setups. I took the card out and gave it a good clean as it had a lot of dust, also worth noting there was a pink residue on it, like dried mud but only in a small amount. After this the pc booted fine for about 3 boots over 2 days but i couldnt play any game at that point as my cpu was getting hot as i didnt have enough paste. so after i got my paste i reapplied, and rebooted and everything loaded fine, i measured temps using speedfan to make sure the temp problem had gone - which it had. I opened skyrim and began playing it for about 15mins when strange gray lines flickered on my screen. I didnt think much of it as it wasnt anything serious ( i thought it was a loose connection ). about 3 mins after the gray flickering started, the screen just froze to the vertical lines ( these ones were brown ) and the audio had frozen on a certain point. Upon reboot, thats when the problems began

Also on a side note - the 700w was so he could XFire and that was just one thread of numerous i found.

Its not that i think you guys dont know what your talking about its just other people are running the same hardware fine so its a little frustrating when your told the psu wont run the hardware
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Everyone's use is different, therefore their experiences are different.
Believe it or not, computers weren't actually designed or manufactured for the principal purpose of playing games and many do not play any, yet we have to judge that at some point everyone will.
Not everyone uses Adobe Photoshop, but for those who do, the graphics are way more intensive as is ram usage. Then why should it be surprising that some experience the same hardware differently?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Registered Member

True, but i havent even placed this hardware under load, i simply opened skyrim for 10 mins on medium. How can it be that people running the same hardware under greater loads experience no problems?

Anyhow i will see how it goes after it is RMA'd im just slightly worried as they no longer stock 5850's so i dont know how they would go about with that.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You'll be returning the new card too with the power supply you're using now. I won't get into a debate over it because I know your power supply is weak!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Once again if you had read the sticky you would know why your power supply is bad , but because you didn't then you don't . Plain and simple.

If you don't believe us then RMA it , we give advice not orders.

Closed Thread