Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

[SOLVED] 2x HIS Radeon 7970's no longer working

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] 2x HIS Radeon 7970's no longer working within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. System specs: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit w/ SP1 AMD FX-8150 FX CPU dual HIS Radeon HD7970 3GB's ASUS Crosshair V

Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

System specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit w/ SP1
AMD FX-8150 FX CPU
dual HIS Radeon HD7970 3GB's
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX MOBO
G.Skill Sniper 16GB RAM @ 1866
CoolerMaster 1200W ATX PSU
CoolerMaster HAF X case
Corsair H100 liquid CPU cooler

I am typing this all from my backup laptop as my main system is unable to bring a video connection to my monitor, so I can't provide you with driver numbers, but I can tell you I'm anal about keeping everything up to date, so I'm 99% sure every driver on my system is current. I also have plenty of airflow and haven't witnessed any signs of overheating whatsoever.

Anyhow, the cards ran wonderfully from the time I installed them and downloaded the drivers from the ATI website. However, today, while playing SWTOR, the system completely locked up and froze. I didn't get a blue screen or death, it just totally locked up. I waited patiently for about 3 minutes thinking it might've been some weird bug, but no. Eventually I disconnected the power cable from the system, waited a few minutes and reconnected. Everything started back up just fine and I went back into the game. About 15 minutes into it and it freezes up again, same as before. I waited about a minute and disconnected the power cable once more.

Now, however, I am unable to receive a video connection from my video cards to the monitor. I have tried swapping cards and switching their PCI Express slots, using just one card at a time, using both without the Crossfire Bridge adapter, using the DVI-to-HDMI adapter and using the DVI-to-VGA adapter... All with no avail. My motherboard does not have an onboard monitor connection slot so I don't have any workaround there. The only other thing I can try is using a different monitor, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case as my monitor was purchased the same day as all the other components and still toggles through DVI, HDMI and VGA modes as well as the menu.

The system DOES boot up as I see all the fans are spinning, but I did notice that the speaker that usually beeps during POST hasn't been doing that since this problem occurred.

I'm by no means an extremely tech savvy person, but in my mind, I've exhausted all possible fixes. Luckily I purchased 2-year warranties on both cards through Newegg. Anyone have any suggestions before I RMA my cards?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

What precise Model Number is the CoolerMaster PSU?
Can you boot to Safe Mode?
Boot with no RAM and listen for beeps. No RAM and no beeps indicates a Mobo issue.
Try using one stick of RAM at a time and one GPU. If all goes well install a second stick.

If no joy, bench test.
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

The PSU is: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply located here: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Ok, thank you Tyree, I'll start knocking those steps out and come back with an update later today.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

You're welcome and please post back with any results.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ok, I followed each and every one of your steps, and even in bench I'm still facing the same issues. The CPU heatsink fan spins up and heat comes off, the video card fan spins and all power to the motherboard seems to be working. But still no post beep and no video signal to the monitor. I even tried using an older VGA monitor from another computer in my house and still nothing.

I'm kind of flabbergasted now. The area is clear of any wires or cables and nothing is touching the motherboard, it's sitting nicely on the box, free of any current or groundings.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

What confuses me is since I assembled this system and updated all the drivers, for about 8-9 days it has worked flawlessly, and I hadn't opened the case at all since that point. Why would something like this suddenly occur? If it was an issue with grounding the motherboard, wouldn't that have happened the moment I started it up the very first time?

And to be noted, I maintained this system with Microsoft Security Essentials and kept firewalls up at all times. Never experienced any malware or threats.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

When no joy after a Bench Test, performed precisely as posted, refer to the last paragraph
If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Well, it's been a few weeks since this problem occurred. I had been waiting for my next big paycheck to come in, and since it has, I've recently ordered Newegg.com - SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply to start as a replacement. After reading a few threads in the PSU forum here, I noticed a trend in SeaSonic PSU's, so I figured I'd start there. I ordered it with rush shipping and processing so I should have it here in a few days and will post back to let you know of any changes.

Thanks again for the support!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Hardware Tech

My System

You tried both video cards individually in the bench test?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yes I did, toothman. I received that SeaSonic PSU earlier this morning and tested the system using it and STILL am getting no video. I also replaced the motherboard and went with the Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS and I'm facing the same problem also.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Have you tried either of the 7970's in another PC to know they are good?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

No, I don't have a spare system to compare parts off of at the moment, however the fans do spin on both cards when tried separately or together, in all PCI-E slots.

I do have another question... The video cards (Newegg.com - HIS H797F3G2M Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card) use a PCI-Express 3.0 x16 interface, yet both motherboards I bought are PCI-Express 2.0 x16. Would that conflict with anything? Both cards did work in Crossfire on the Crosshair V Formula MOBO pretty well, but I am just now noticing that discrepancy.

I feel like I've essentially narrowed the issue down to either it being all 4 RAM sticks being bad or each RAM module is bad (highly doubtful in 2 different motherboards), each PCI-E slot (very doubtful) and each video card is bad (also very doubtful) or the CPU itself is dead. There is no sign of burns or bent pins anywhere on any component and overheating was never an issue. I am stumped.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

PCI Express 3.0 and 2.0 are backwards compatible. No problems there.

Have you tried the monitor on a different computer?

Have you tried other dvi,hdmi,vga,etc cables?

Have you tried booting with only 1 stick of ram installed?
shotgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Ok, thanks shotgun. And yes, I have tried all 3 of your options, all to no avail.

I just returned from Best Buy and purchased a fairly cheap video card and 4gb of DDR3 RAM to test on this system, and I STILL am facing the same "No signal to monitor" scenario. Every single component in this system now has been replaced or swapped with something else except the processor itself, so this must be the culprit. I know this isn't necessarily the proper method of deductive reasoning (by buying almost a complete second system altogether) but at the moment money isn't an issue at all, otherwise I wouldn't have poured over $3,000 into a gaming system in the first place.

Now I'll check Newegg for a comparable CPU to replace my faulty one. I appreciate everyone's assistance in this matter and I'll post back when the replacement has been made. Thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

We hardly ever suggest the cpu because failure is very rare. But this seems to be in your case as you have tried just about everything. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
Hardware Tech

My System

Two faulty motherboards in a row is also possible. Happened in another semi-recent thread. Were they both new? A component cannot be ruled out completely if you haven't seen it operate properly in another machine.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

Yes, the Crosshair V was brand new when installed, and the Sabertooth I got recently was also new when testing everything with it. I know it's possible but, if the CPU was fine, wouldn't it at least pass POST on the 2nd motherboard? I've got the same exact symptoms on two similar motherboards. I should have the CPU replacement by tomorrow or the day after, and I'm willing to bet that it will make me a very happy man. Either way, I'll post back and let you guys know what happens.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Alright guys, here is my update:

I purchased the same CPU (AMD 8150 FX) as a replacement. It arrived this morning and I installed it into the my Sabertooth motherboard (I actually like this one better over the Crosshair V - it feels more durable) and IT WORKS. I can't believe that after all the replacing that took place over the past month, it was the last thing I ended up replacing. I guess I must have just gotten a bad or faulty CPU somehow, but I notified AMD of this situation and hope to hear back from them.

I really appreciate all the troubleshooting support here, you guys. This is my first build and I feel that you have all helped me learn quite a lot so that I may take care of some problems that arise myself. But in the event that I need assistance, I know where I'll be coming back to.

Thank you!
- Kadan Sharpe
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

That's great to hear. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Hardware Tech

My System

Figures, the last thing to be expected ends up being the problem. Did you notice any physical defects on the faulty CPU? Were all the pins sticking out straight?

Glad to hear it's all working now. You might consider just building a second computer out of your leftover parts lol maybe see how much you can sell it for. Get your money back.