Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Possible video card problem

This is a discussion on Possible video card problem within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guy's i'm not completely sure what the problem is yet so bare with me as i try to explain.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guy's i'm not completely sure what the problem is yet so bare with me as i try to explain. In the last 3 weeks my computer screen has been going black when playing games.

The screen will just die and say "monitor going to sleep" yet the computer will still be running. Also the sound before it crashed will just keep repeating. At first it was happening not regularly only when i played a certain game so i thought it was just some kind of bug, but now it is happening every time i play any game.

If i am just watching movies or browsing the web it runs fine.

I opened up the box and noticed the video card was very hot so i downloaded a program to check the temp. Unfortunately my gpu doesn't have a built in thermometer so i had to just go by what the cpu temp's readings, which non average is about 70 degrees (i'm assuming this is normal).

I then opened the box and tried to play a game but still after a while the same thing happened. This makes me believe it must be either the power supply or the video card. I am up to date with all of the most recent microsoft updates.

My computer is an Hewlett Packard HPE-180a just standard with no adjustments made. I bought it approximately 19 months ago.

Here are my computer specs:

Motherboard: MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E)

CPU: Intel Core i5 750

Power Supply: 350w

Ram: ddr3 8gb

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT230

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- David

Old 11-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Tech hardware team

My System

Download and check with HWMonitor for temps. We recommend at least a min 550w PSU for any PCI-E Graphics card.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

Your PSU would be a prime suspect. It is underpowered for the GPU and has possibly damaged the GPU.
You can test the GPU by trying it another PC that has a good quality 550W minimum PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Johnny1982 thank you so much for sharing that software. I'm guessing it must be my video card that's the problem. I loaded up a game and watched my video card temp go from 65 degrees to 94 degrees before i quickly closed the game. My fans where on 100% and working correctly.

I'm hoping this is better news then having to replace my whole PSU. Could dust be the reason why it's going so high? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #5

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudlite View Post
Johnny1982 thank you so much for sharing that software. I'm guessing it must be my video card that's the problem. I loaded up a game and watched my video card temp go from 65 degrees to 94 degrees before i quickly closed the game. My fans where on 100% and working correctly.

I'm hoping this is better news then having to replace my whole PSU. Could dust be the reason why it's going so high? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.
It's a pleasure, but I would take Tyree's advice and replace that PSU quickly as a low quality or low powered PSU can also cause such a dramatic increase in video card temps. 94 Degrees is too high, dust might be a cause, but the main problem is your PSU is too under-powered and probably low quality.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Using a low quality/underpowered PSU that can not supply sufficient power will cause temps to increase.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Ok, so here's the system specs:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-100 Desktop PC series*-* HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180a Desktop PC Product Specifications - c01969876 - HP Business Support Center

Interestingly, I wasn't able to find any info. on the GT230. Looks more like an OEM (built for HP) card to me.

By the looks of it, the card is pretty weak and the cooling solution is OK at most.

Quote:
but now it is happening every time i play any game.
If i am just watching movies or browsing the web it runs fine.
It's probably struggling to run the games on your computer, as opposed to non-intensive tasks like web browsing and movies.

So if you are a hardcore gamer, it would make sense to invest in a much better video card and good PSU to go with it.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #8

My System

Here's info on the GT230 video card: GeForce GT 230 – Video Cards @ Hardware Compare
Old 11-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hey thank you everyone for the replies. A problem is the case for the computer is quite small so i'm not sure how well i could fit a new video card and a psu in to it.

Do you have any recommendations on which video card i get could right now that would match my psu? Also if i was to upgrade my psu and video card, which would be a good fit?

Thanks

-David
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 7 64 Professional, Slitaz Linux 2.0, Xubuntu 9.10, Mythbuntu 11.10, Windows XP32 SP3

Send a message via AIM to Horusrogue Send a message via Yahoo to Horusrogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudlite View Post
Hey thank you everyone for the replies. A problem is the case for the computer is quite small so i'm not sure how well i could fit a new video card and a psu in to it.

Do you have any recommendations on which video card i get could right now that would match my psu? Also if i was to upgrade my psu and video card, which would be a good fit?

Thanks

-David
If you hate your case buy a new case and switch over. It feels really good to tear parts out of OEM cases just so that I finally stop cutting myself in horrible cramped conditions. And yes, then you will have no more space issues. You didn't really pay for the case in the end so much, as for the parts. So switching cases is an option.

For the PSU? One of the XFX CORE ED'S. Depends on the card. What is your budget? I work in CAD, do you go by USD?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
A problem is the case for the computer is quite small
Quote:
And yes, then you will have no more space issues.
Yeah, I agree. you will have easier access to all the hardware components and the airflow within the case will be better.

So given that the rest of your hardware can be used as such (CPU, RAM, mobo), what you need to consider now is a new, roomier PC Case, a good video card and a good quality PSU to go with it. It will be well worth the investment.

Perhaps, if you could tell us how much you wish to spend on these upgrades, we could chip in our suggestions on the hardware.