PNY Geforce GTX 960 on HTPC

SOLVED 
2K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Specs:
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Q87M-E/CSM (SOCKET 1150)
BIOS 1601
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Hard Drives 932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 ATA Device (SATA)
TP Link Model TL-WN851ND Ver 1.0 Wireless Card
Optical Drives-
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
ATAPI iHAS124 E ATA Device
Audio Intel Display Audio
Seasonic 650 watt modular psu
Silverstone GD05 Case

First off any help would be appreciated. This is my first encounter with the UEFI bios.
After installing card computer either refuses to boot or no display. Have tried both VGA and DVI. Currently computer is connected to 55 inch Samsung TV via Denon receiver. Even connected to regular monitor by VGA all that shows is black screen. Nvidia drives won't install with not present. Motherboard has 2 pci-e x16 slots. Neither one will work. Onboard graphics work fine. Have updated bios to latest. Didn't make any difference.
Fans spin on card so it's getting power. If uninstall current display drivers for Intel will I still have image on screen to install Nvidia drivers?:sad:

See less See more
#4 ·
Ok. First off thank you for your reply. Card fully seated. Power is connected. Fans on card run but computer appears to be not booting completely or is not sending signal to monitor. When I plugged back in to onboard graphics and turned on the screen with windows did not shut downs safely appeared with options to boot. Tried in an old HP desktop and computer booted normally to desktop even though I could only get it in a pci-e x4 slot.. I didn't leave it on long as the power supply in that machine is kinda weak. So I assume the card is good.

#12 ·
I believe it is set right for pci-e configuration though I can barely read them.
Since the card works elsewhere and you have tried a regular monitor the only possible conclusions are the psu isn't working properly, or the pci-e slots on the board don't work or the board itself is a problem.
Have you checked the Asus website to see if there are any bios updates?

#13 ·
Oh and on the first screenshot I can't read what is disabled under Pci-e configuration but I would enable that and save it.
I think another thing I would do is set the bios to optimized default settings and see if it will work then and if not then try removing the cmos battery for 5 minutes and then setting it back in to see if it will reset.

#18 ·
Set ASPM to auto and removed CMOS battery. Still no picture on screen. One thing I did was look at the connector that came with the card. It is typical six pin with pigtail for two molex connectors. With only one of molex plugged into it I have 12v only on one side of the card connector. Reckon this card needs two 12v supplies to work? :banghead:

#19 ·
Got one more thing I'm gonna try but it's a pain in the butt. My main computer has pci-e 16 slots. It's a pain to disassemble because it's got printers, scanner, surround system and external drives connected to it. Maybe time to crawl under desk dig out. Probably need to blow out dust anyway. Won't know if it will fit till I get it open. It's a 2007 build running Win 7 Ultimate and all ready has Nvidia drivers installed.

#20 · (Edited)
Just a final update in case anyone might stumble upon this thread. After installing a GT630 card in this computer I determined that the pci-e slot does indeed work. Installing the GTX960 in another computer produced the same results as in the HTPC. This leads me to believe that card is not sending a signal via HDMI. Either that or this card is not compatible with either motherboard I installed it in. Gonna RMA as don't need a $200 gadget laying around. Jim and Rich thanks again for your assist.

Oh and Jim, my son is a rapid 49ers also. His whole living room is decorated with 49ers stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.