Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Please help me choose a video card

This is a discussion on Please help me choose a video card within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, So I guess it's time to change the video card I've been told. Here are my stats. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/j...T41HfnQ13IQvLl

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

So I guess it's time to change the video card I've been told.

Here are my stats. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/j...T41HfnQ13IQvLl

Which video card do you recommend & why?

Nothing too expensive pls.

I am not a gamer, but I do watch some videos online (how can you not, they are all around us).

I'm a netrepreneur, so I'm creating more videos too, but I hire people to do that.

Thanks

Michelle

Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

I'd say the next question to ask is would you like to run more than one monitor on your PC?
Lots of people find an extra screen to be a real time saver. (Myself included)

Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Moderator hardware team

My System

What is the primary purpose of this computer? and what is your budget?

For basic internet/email and watching movies/videos, one of the low end HD 5000/6000 cards will be plenty.

For actual video rendering, go with a Radeon FirePro or an Nvidia Quadro pro card.

PS: Most graphics cards will support two and many support three monitors.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok, I only have one monitor, not sure why people have more than one.

This is my biz computer.

I don't do videos, I said I hire people to do that, but I do want to make sure the video card allows me to watch any videos smoothly. Now I'm talking about the short 4 minute ones, not real videos.

That brings me to my next question...

At some point in the future I may stream TV shows & videos. Right now I'm just looking for someone who's a total geek when it comes to these things to help me figure out the setup.

If I stream from the computer to the TV, which I don't think I'll be doing, I'll just be streaming from the router (I think), does the video card matter at that point or no it doesn't b/c the TV takes care of the rest?

I don't know the costs of video cards, so can you give me a range?

I assumed they are around $30-40?

Aren't some brand names better than others?

Should I try to find reviews, or they don't really matter?

Thanks a ton

Michelle
Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Moderator hardware team

My System

multiple monitors: view multiple applications at once.
Streaming: Your graphics card is not involved. Is more dependent on processor; high speed multi-core will be better.

You might find something for $40 if you shop around but for around $50 go with an HD 6450. Personally, I like Sapphire and Gigabyte
Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
multiple monitors: view multiple applications at once.
Streaming: Your graphics card is not involved. Is more dependent on processor; high speed multi-core will be better.

You might find something for $40 if you shop around but for around $50 go with an HD 6450. Personally, I like Sapphire and Gigabyte
Ok, so Sapphire & Gigabyte are the brand names, correct?

What does HD stand for as I only know it as hard drive.

Great, it sounds like I'm going to have to swap out my MB soon as it's on hte older side. What did you think of it when you looked? Does it look like it's fast enough?

Thanks

Michelle
Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
PC Specs?
I iddn't understand what you said.

How can a graphics card be pre-built?

My specs were there in my post. Pls. read.

Michelle
Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

Please post your specs in the thread as requested so we don't have to repeatedly go back and forth.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Please post your specs in the thread as requested so we don't have to repeatedly go back and forth.
I'll repeat again, I ALREADY posted my details. All you have to do is scroll up. It's not that difficult, we aren't even on page 2.

Anyway, you seem angry, so no need to respond back.

Michelle
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Moderator hardware team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep2002 View Post
Ok, so Sapphire & Gigabyte are the brand names, correct?
What does HD stand for as I only know it as hard drive.
Great, it sounds like I'm going to have to swap out my MB soon as it's on hte older side. What did you think of it when you looked? Does it look like it's fast enough?
There are others, but Sapphire and Gigabyte are two brands I trust for AMD chipped cards. If you were to chose an Nvidia card, look for one by EVGA or Asus.

In this case HD is part of the model of the card (Radeon HD 6450). Much like Nvidia cards will have a 'GT' or 'GTX'

Your P5 is still plenty capable. Yes it's a bit dated, but as long as it does what you want, is there really any need to replace it? I admit new socket 775 processors are getting scarce, but there are still upgrade options available.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
There are others, but Sapphire and Gigabyte are two brands I trust for AMD chipped cards. If you were to chose an Nvidia card, look for one by EVGA or Asus.

Your P5 is still plenty capable. Yes it's a bit dated, but as long as it does what you want, is there really any need to replace it? I admit new socket 775 processors are getting scarce, but there are still upgrade options available.
Sorry, don't understand what "chipped" means or the difference between them & Nvidia.

Yes, but you were saying that if I was going to go streaming I'd need a faster MB, right?

I'm still learning all about streaming. I don't want to stream to watch on my computer, rather stream to watch on my TV.

Michelle
Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
Tech Hardware Team
Game Team Tech

My System

in most cases , motherboards have 2 types , either they are built for AMD or build for INTEL ,

these are her specs to help the rest of the boys out ,

by the way Michelle , a lot of people do not want to click on links that leads outside the forums for the heads up ^^

Quote:
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz:
38 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-31)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI (Socket 775):
40 °C
Graphics
SyncMaster (1280x960@60Hz)
128MB ASUS Extreme AX300 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)
128MB ASUS Extreme AX300 Series Secondary (ASUStek Computer Inc)
CrossFire Disabled
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST3500418AS (ATA):
38 °C
Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW DRU-710A
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
Installation Date: 23 July 2008, 20:33
anyway checking your specs you are currently running an INTEL Chipset Motherboard
Old 11-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hey Michelle,

Whats the make, model and wattage of your power supply?

This is very important information when choosing a video card and it isn't provided from speccy.

I will also second gcavan, gigabyte and sapphire are great makes. To add another to the list I also like HIS GPUs.

..Notepad++ | CoffeeCup | WAMP | GIMP | VLC | Debut | CometBird | Web Dev
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
Moderator hardware team

My System

Quote:
Sorry, don't understand what "chipped" means or the difference between them & Nvidia.
Yes, but you were saying that if I was going to go streaming I'd need a faster MB, right?
I'm still learning all about streaming. I don't want to stream to watch on my computer, rather stream to watch on my TV.
There are two major players who manufacture graphics processors; Nvidia and AMD. Neither is 'better' than the other, but both are good. They manufacture the processors and supply other manufacturers (such as Sapphire and EVGA) who, in turn, manufacture the actual graphics cards.

I did not mean you would need a faster motherboard, processor or any other component. I said that streaming is not dependent on the graphics capability of the source.

Just to be certain, are you actually streaming video (over a network) are do you plan to direct connect your TV to the computer (via VGA/DVI/HDMI)?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
Hey Michelle,

Whats the make, model and wattage of your power supply?

This is very important information when choosing a video card and it isn't provided from speccy.

I will also second gcavan, gigabyte and sapphire are great makes. To add another to the list I also like HIS GPUs.
Oh don't confuse me with more choices LOL

How do I find out the make & model of my power supply?

There's no way I can open the machine. I've never done it myself before.

Thanks

Michelle
Old 11-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyza View Post
in most cases , motherboards have 2 types , either they are built for AMD or build for INTEL ,

these are her specs to help the rest of the boys out ,

by the way Michelle , a lot of people do not want to click on links that leads outside the forums for the heads up ^^

anyway checking your specs you are currently running an INTEL Chipset Motherboard
Thanks for showcasing that. :)

I was showed on another forum how to showcase my states thru the link. No one else seemed to have a problem reading my specs, only one person. I would assume everyone here knows who Speccy is & trusts them, as they are well known.

Michelle
Old 11-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
There are two major players who manufacture graphics processors; Nvidia and AMD. Neither is 'better' than the other, but both are good. They manufacture the processors and supply other manufacturers (such as Sapphire and EVGA) who, in turn, manufacture the actual graphics cards.

I did not mean you would need a faster motherboard, processor or any other component. I said that streaming is not dependent on the graphics capability of the source.

Just to be certain, are you actually streaming video (over a network) are do you plan to direct connect your TV to the computer (via VGA/DVI/HDMI)?
Ok, sorry I misunderstood.

At this point I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm learning this all from scratch.

I'm under the impression I would be hooking the TV up to the streaming box & that would then be hooked up to the router.

From what little I've learned so far.

Michelle
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

Posting your PC specs, as repeatedly requested, would be helpful and most likely speed up the process of assisting you. It is imperative we know the Brand & Model of the PSU. You will have to remove the case side and look at the label on the PSU.
If we knew what we we're working with we "might" be able to find that info for you.
Quote:
PC Specs?

Old 11-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #20
Tech Hardware Team
Game Team Tech

My System

looking at the front of the pc , its your left side usually, unless you have one of them

custom make computers like dell or hp etc. just have to use a x screw driver and

take out 2 of the screws at the back then slide backwards to remove the casing.

the psu should be something big and square usually at the top of the case close to

the back ( where the power cable is plugged ).