Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

persistent GSOD and BSOD :(

This is a discussion on persistent GSOD and BSOD :( within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I brought a brand new $1300 computer that constantly experiences GSOD and/or BSOD whatever games i play. The list of

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

I brought a brand new $1300 computer that constantly experiences GSOD and/or BSOD whatever games i play. The list of games i have tried includes: Modern warfare 1 and 2,

bioshock 1 & 2, bad company 2, starcraft 2, warcraft 3, deadspace, need for speed shift.

============

More explanation of the crash:

- first the game screen would pause, then the sounds of the game would loop for about 5 secs then a solid grey screen appears. After this the monitor will loose signal from the

computer and the system is no longer responding and requires a hard restart.

- sometime there is no grey screen and a BSOD occurs

- most of the time the crash occurs within 10 mins of game play. Sometimes oddly enough it can run for ~2 hrs without crashing.

============

I am using:

Sapphire PCIE ATI HD5770 Vapor-X 1GB 128-bit DDR5, 2xDVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core 3.2GHz 8MB Cache AM3/AM2+/AM2 CPU

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AMD 4xDDR3, 2xPCIE, RAID

1TB 1000GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ SATA II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM 32MB Cache

4GB DDR3 G.Skill 1333MHz F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT CL9-9-9-24 (2x2GB)

23" Samsung Lavender P2350

450W Corsair VX-450 Power Supply

windows 7 64 bit

============

What i have tried in attempt to fix this:

- Windows and games are all fully updated

- Furmark and GPUz shows the average temperature while gaming is around 65 degrees, so its not a heat problem

- I tried ATI's 10.1 10.1 (hotfix) 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6 10.7 10.7a beta and sapphire's 10.7 drivers. None of these solve the problem

- I turned windows themes off, and all the aero effects are off too

- I made use of driver sweeper in safe mode to make clean installs

- I tried all permutations of the game settings including various resolutions, this didnt fix anything either

- Bios is up to date and all bios settings are factory defaults

- I tested the computer with Prime95 for 8 hrs and also ran memtest all without errors, meaning CPU and RAM are in good health (is this a valid conclusion?)

- I have formatted windows numerous times

- I have not installed any unnessary programs, i completely disable anti virus when i test the computer with a game.

- I have "high performance" set for my power plan

- I have not overclocked any components

- This is not a dust issue since its a new pc

- The computer shop i brought the pc from tested a brand new video card in place of mine and the same crashing occurs (although i did not see them do the test personally, so

not 100% sure on this)

- However I am able to run furmark's stability test for 2hrs without issues

- the last two points seem to suggest that RMA will not solve my issue

============

I am quickly running out of ideas :(

Any help/ suggestions are much appreciated

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

Ok i made a rather peculiar discovery. When i disabled windows update service and windows defender service i was able to play modern warfare 2 and starcraft 2 on the highest settings for ~2hrs straight without any troubles at all. But when i exit out of the game and started playing again the crash would occur within 5mins again. This is so odd. Seems like some parts of windows is interfering with my video card. Is everyone familiar with this behavior?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

You have a top quality but underpowered PSU. ATI 5770 requires a minimum 450W PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
You have a top quality but underpowered PSU. ATI 5770 requires a minimum 450W PSU.
Um in this case would you recommend downclocking?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

No he would recommend upgrading your PSU to a 650-750W, but stay with corsair. It also sounds like a heat problem to me.. what are your temps/voltages? on your gpu and cpu

CPU-Z-----GPU-Z-----CoreTemp-----Speedfan
Jtsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

Heres an update:

Last night i disabled lots of unnecessary windows services, including windows theme, aero effects, windows update, window defender, media player, action center, and other unnecessary services. Immediately after doing this, i launched modern warfare 2, and i was able to play ~1hr worth of very graphically intensive missions without any issues what so ever. The frame rates were good, loading times were good, no stutters, no troubles. I then loaded up sc2 and was again able to play it on the highest settings for ~2hrs without problems. Heres the weird part: I quit sc2, and then relaunch the game and it crashes pretty much immediately, i re launch modern warfare 2, and it too crashed very soon. I have not made any changes between those 2 periods. This is just bizarre to say the least. But i have a feeling that this is not some kind of freak accicident. Because in my early attempts at fixing the crashing, i disabled AVAST anti virus and this allowed me to run game without problems, but when i quit the game and relaunch them the crash come back, even though i have not enable avast back on. At that time i thought of this as just a freak accident.

Further more, lots of people are suspicious of my PSU: 450W Corsair VX-450 Power Supply

==========

Reasons why the PSU might be at fault:

- Its provide 450W, which is the bare minimum for my 5770.

==========

Reasons why it might not be the PSU's fault:

- The technicians at my computer shop (maco technology) ensures me that the 450W PSU is able to run my system, heres their exact words:

"Here is the link that calculate the power. Your system should easily be able to run quietly and efficiently on the Corsair VX450W PSU
http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/res...se&vc_oc=False

The Corsair 450W is sufficient to run your system."

- also the reviews on this PSU suggest it can actually deliver 570W despite its specs, see here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/540/10

- and also from the experience i decribed above, the PSU is able to power my system to play 2hrs straight without crashes, so this huge discrepency between crash times i.e. ~5mins vs 2hrs seems to suggests its not the PSU's fault. i.e the PSU should give out at consistent times.

Personally i am not sure which is true at the moment. Perhaps i should try running furmark and prime95 at the same time to stress the system, see if the PSU gives out. Or maybe i should downclock my vid card...

==========

I should also be suspicious of windows 7

Reasons why windows might be at fault:

- The crash was gone when i disabled lots of its services.

- This is what maco technology believes in, here are their exact words:

"As AMD forum said this is a common problem with Windows 7
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=124747&highlight_key=y&keyword1=SAPPHIRE%20VAPOR-X%20HD5770"

Reasons why it might not be windows fault:

- If it really is window 7 's fault, then shouldnt my problem be wide spread? i.e. every single 5770 user out there would have experienced this, and this doesnt seem likely.

==========

What do you guys think?

And thanks everyone for your posts!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Also could there be settings that prevent my PSU from supplying as much power as it could?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtsou View Post
. It also sounds like a heat problem to me.. what are your temps/voltages? on your gpu and cpu
Cpu temp was around 30 degrees i believe

GPU averages around 65 degrees in furmark's stability test.

Heres a screen shot of my Gpuz and Cpuz

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5551/95213752.jpg
Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What are your GPU temps when playing your games?

Also, that tech saying that the 450W is able to pull the card just shows how much he knows.

No, there are no settings for the psu.

With powersupplies you not only have to have the required power, but you want some headroom too to deal with load from opening up programs, etc.

CPU-Z-----GPU-Z-----CoreTemp-----Speedfan
Jtsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread