Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCI 2 card in PCI 1 Slot dosent work! should it?

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Deejay100six 
#1 ·
Hi All

I have tried the card geofirce gt 630 on an older PC with a MSI n1996 motherboard and also on a different PC with an older ABIT gaming class motherboard

Both boards have the original longer PCI Express slot

The Graphics card has a much shorter connector if fits but..

neither machine will evn boot with the card in place. 1 power supply is 1000w and the other 450w

On the msi machine (the one I intend to use it on) the there is no beep at boot and the cpu fan runs slowly, there are no beeps from ther bios to indocate a problem, no output on screen.

Im dissapointed as I have no budget for another card and was wondering is there anyhting else I can do like a physical adaptor??

Thanks for reading

Confuseis

See less See more
#2 ·
N1996 is not a model number but a designation of conformity (ACA supplier code). The model number is probably between the PCI ports (MS-XXXX)

Are both PCs confirmed functional (without the GT630 installed, or with a different graphics card)?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Hi All

I have tried the card geofirce gt 630 on an older PC with a MSI n1996 motherboard and also on a different PC with an older ABIT gaming class motherboard

Both boards have the original longer PCI Express slot

The Graphics card has a much shorter connector if fits but..
Assuming you mean PCIe 2 card into a PCIe1 slot, yes the card should work, but not at full speed.
You will need the correct drivers installed prior to inserting the graphics card and booting up.

#14 ·
PCIE-2 cards are compatible with all lower versions of PCIE express but will run at half speed,

and I think you must have miss aligned the card or something because it should fit in the pcie-2 slot since its the same size as a pcie-1 slot and a pcie-3 slot,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.