Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

New Graphics card problems

This is a discussion on New Graphics card problems within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a gf 8100 m"+ se motherboard that has a 720a internal graphics card and am trying to

Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a gf 8100 m"+ se motherboard that has a 720a internal graphics card and am trying to put in a xfx 9600 gso card.
I have disabled the internal graphics in vista and set the bios to use external card if present i can boot to vista where it installs drivers automatically and I dont seem to be able to cancel the automatic install. Device manager states that it needs to reboot for updates to take effect. It gets to the first vista splash screen and the monitor goes to standby(yellow light) and nothing happens. Its at the point where the monitor clicks on and off.
I then have to switch and/on and can get to start in safe mode but it locks up while loading. If I take out the new card everything works fine again.
Im wondering if my new card is compatible and am looking at this hybrid sli thing but any advice would be appreciated. That

O.K so ive found out that a 9600 needs a 500w supply so that's probally the problem as I only have 450w. back to the shop then.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

XFX recommends 600w or greater for that card> http://www.xfxforce.com/en-gb/produc...9600GSO.aspx#4 (click on the Requirements tab)
The Corsair 650TX is very good at a decent price.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah ive got a 700 watt power supply now but it still wont reboot after installing drivers. Ive put in a new o/s and used different drivers so it looks like the card is going back to the shop.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what brand and model is the 700w
Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

its a cic with a model no. 750ub. I got it from the same place as the card and they said it would run it fine.It wasnt the most expensive one but then again it wasnt the cheepest.
My limited computer knowledge is making me think that its not just a power problem as I only have problems when vista tries to reboot with new drivers for it. Ive tried tthe 185, 175 and a couple of others but vista refuses to reboot.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it's low quality you would pay 3 times the price for a quality 750w unit and get nearly double the amps on the 12v line
Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Well unfortunately you do need a power supply larger then that if you plan on running the system to it's full potential and using it for a long time.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote