Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

My Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are very laggy / low fps unknown reason?

This is a discussion on My Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are very laggy / low fps unknown reason? within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently received a new computer. The components are very high quality (to my knowledge) and apparently according to "Can

Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently received a new computer. The components are very high quality (to my knowledge) and apparently according to "Can I run it.com" I can easily run Battlefield 3 and Skyrim with good performance, preferably 40fps+ on high settings +.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. When I first installed Skyrim, it recommended I played on Ultra high quality. Everything maxed out. This was the system's recommendation. When I play Skyrim with these recommended settings, I struggle to stay above 10 frames per second. Maybe even worse.

The same applies for Battlefield 3. It recommends I have most settings on High / Ultra. But furthermore when I play in 1920 x 1080 HD fullscreen quality AS IT RECOMMENDS I struggle to stay above 5 frames per second, maybe even 1 fps.

This forces me to play Battlefield 3 in a very small screen or a very bad quality resolution. With Skyrim I have to lower all graphical settings to lowest to achieve 30 fps. Which is very disappointing since my computer is apparently amazing according to the specifications.

These are my system specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7 - 2600 (3.40 Ghz, 8 MD Cache)

Cache memory: 8MB

Operating system: Windows 7 home premium 64bit

RAM: 8GB

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB dedicated memory.

Hard Drive: 2 TB

Any other specs just ask!

When I look at the Skyrim recommended requirements, my specs surpass them by far (from what I can see) and not to mention the system automatically wants me to play in Ultra High Quality. So why am I lagging so bad with fps?

What is causing me to have extremely low frames per second with these games when I know I have the correct requirements? (Unless I'm wrong?)

Please someone help me solve this problem, I am extremely upset and disappointed at my computer's performance and I wish I could enjoy myself normally with good quality gaming experience, just like everyone else. I have a friend with very similar specs and he can run Battlefield and Skyrim on 60 fps Ultra settings no problem.

Please help!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

"Very similar specs" can't be used for comparison. Even identical PC's will rarely perform the same.
Brand & Model of your Mobo & PSU?
What configuration (2x4-4x2) is the 8GB of RAM and what are the RAM specs?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Model: Advent DT1412

RAM: (2x4GB) 8GB

^ Reading off the box it came in.

I'm sorry but I'm not very good when it comes to computer terms :/ I don't know how I could access the RAM specs, or what a 'Mobo & PSU' is. I hope I helped in some way though.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

I assumed this was a self built PC so I apologize for that. I now see it's an OEM Advent DT1412.
PSU = Power Supply Unit
Mobo = Motherboard

Did the 6670 GPU come with the PC or have you added it?
OEM (pre-built) PC's commonly use low quality underpowered PSU's. Remove the case side and look at the label on the PSU for a Brand Name & Model Number.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I would think it's simply the 6670.

The 6670 is a very midrange gpu. At 1920x1080 it's simply going to be very slow. It may have a lot of vram , but with a slow gpu it makes the vram almost useless.

Games will sometimes set your quality based on vram alone , since your vram was high , the games were set to high automatically. But with the low end gpu they lag at those settings.
emosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

The 6670 just came with the pc and we havn't done anything to it. I can't actually remove the side at the moment because I don't have the tools, I will try to get you a Model number soon though!

And Emosun, interesting I never knew about that, do you suggest I get a new graphics card of some sort? If so, what graphics card should I get that will ensure I can run Battlefield 3 and Skyrim on ultra high no lag?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Generally for higher end graphics you would want something in the 6800/7800 series , but w/o knowing your power supply I wouldn't recommend anything yet.
emosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Registered Member

How can I find out my power supply specs?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregzTheKitten View Post
How can I find out my power supply specs?
The side panel needs to be removed and the information on the sticker that is attached to the PSU needs to be posted here.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMiata View Post
The side panel needs to be removed and the information on the sticker that is attached to the PSU needs to be posted here.
Ill work on it, as soon as I get the time I'll remove the panel.