Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installed a GTX 980 Computer crashes with games set on Highest settings

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ultramankiller 
#1 · (Edited)
PART 1: PRE factory reset

I bought a gtx 980 graphics card (From a gtx 560) and installed it in my computer. My brother and my friend said that I should wait to uninstall the old drivers till I have the new graphics card installed and working to make it easier. I did this and when I installed the new graphic cards drivers, I could not find the 560 drivers. I figured that the updater just removed old ones and installed the new ones. I continued to play on and start up Battle field 4. In the game I got in and put the graphics to Ultra settings. It would kick me out of the game to begin with and give me some driver errors. I figured it was because I still had these old drivers on my computer. I was unable to locate said drivers so I decided why not just factory reset my computer. I did so (With the new graphics card still installed on MOBO)

PART 2: Post factory reset

I got all my drivers installed and made sure they were all updated to latest versions from the manufactures website. I then continued on to try and play Battle Field 4 again. I started the game up on ultra settings and could play for about 3 minutes and then my computer would get a black screen. I was like okay... So I had to turn computer off from button on case and start it back up. I tried it again and got the same problem, but this time I got a green screen. Both times I got no error reports or anything. I called up EVGA and they asked if I had tried to unplug and then replug the card into the MOBO. So that is what I did. Now when I would run a game at Ultra settings instead of getting a black screen, my monitor would run through the video cables like it lost the graphics card then go to sleep. I wouldn't be able to wake it back up so I would have to shut the computer off. (Fans on graphics card were running at this point before shutting computer down.) I started the computer back up with the case off and tried to play a game again. I was able to get through a few games of COD on ultra settings and a partial game of BF4 before the computer crashed again. I thought hmmm maybe my Computer is overheating? So I downloaded HWmonitor from CPUID and started BF4 back up again in windowed mode to look at the temps. I saw that my CPU was reaching temps up to 90 C (My CPU is water cooled with a asetek 550lc). I got really nervous, but the computer didn't shut down so i closed out of the game. I got a box fan and placed next to opened computer and turned it on max. Waited a bit and got back in. The cpu got up to around 74 C this time. I thought I figured my problem out... then the computer shut down again.

Some Information to know:
Windows 7
I have a Xtreme Gear 800 watt power supply
CPU is water cooled (Made sure to dust, fan was running, pump was moving, and water was flowing.)
I don't have any fans on my case other than the radiator for the water cooling.
I have run a Memtest and it came back with no errors.
I installed WhoCrashed and it reported back with my graphics card drivers being the reason for 6 dumps. (Even though on latest driver.)
I have attached dxdiag to this post.
The HWMonitor picture is temps of idling

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi! ultramankiller! I'm not a gamer. It sounds like you figured out your problem to be heat related. If Who Crashed reported the problem to be graphics, up dating your graphics is all I can think of to advise. Maybe we have some gamers here that can give you better advise. I don't know what temps would be max for your rig before it shut down! It sounds like Who Crashed is pointing to graphics. Who Crashed wouldn't know if it was a heat problem. Just that it was related to graphics. That's my opinion.

#4 ·
Sorry! I don't have a answer! Do you have a different graphics card you could try??
I suppose if your card has been over heating for a period of time, it could have burned some components on the card????
That's the best I can offer!!

#5 · (Edited)
I would look at the cheap PSU first, how many Amps does it supply on the 12V rail.
Is the 800W peak power or continuous?
Check online reviews for that PSU, not many good ones.
There would be no need to remove drivers and install new drivers if you did not change brands of card, ie from Nvidia to AMD.
Updating the drivers is usually sufficient.
I would also look at installing an intake fan on the front of the case if possible, your idle temps are high and your CPU should ideally be mid to high 30's.

#6 ·
I'm trying to find if that is the exact reason for why my computer is messing up. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a psu for it to still have the same problem. But I noticed my computer was crashing when cpu was only around 70C so I don't think the problem is overheating anymore. But I'm trying to figure out if they sent my computer to me overclocked. The Core speeds are at 3330.77 MHz (Read from CPU - Z) and on HwMonitor cores 0 - 3 are at 3331 MHz. Is this overclocked? and if so how do I make it so that it is not overclocked. I have the Gigabyte X58A-OC motherboard.

#7 ·
HWMonitor is showing crazy voltages. I'd enter the BIOS and reset it to default, while you're there, check and report back on the voltages monitored there. Try HWiNFO64 and set it for sensors only: HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Max CPU temps are bordering on throttling at 71-74C, TCASE max is 67.9°C for that CPU so throttling will occur somewhere around 75C. http://ark.intel.com/products/37151/Intel-Core-i7-960-Processor-8M-Cache-3_20-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Min CPU should be ~3.2GHZ and max ~3.46 at stock.

#8 ·
Hi! You could do some other things. You can type Memory Diagnostic in your search Orb. This is a Windows feature that will check your RAM. Memtest86+ is better, but you need to burn a CD. You could test your HD with sea tools. You could also do a chkdsk. It won't hurt to do a sfc /scannow. You could look at your reliability monitor and see if there are any clues. You might give Who Crashed a try and see if it gives you any help. There are a lot of things that cause BSOD and a lot of things you can try. If you want any help with these things, I'll try to help you!!

#9 ·
Alright sorry for not responding sooner. I have gone through a lot recently. I sort of gave up as I was reaching the 2 week park of trying things out to see what was wrong. I sent it to a computer shop where they have told me that my psu was bad and that I need a better case with fans in. So that is what I did... I spent around 400 dollars buying a NZXT source 530 full tower case, H105 Corsair closed loop 240mm CPU cooler (Mounted on the top of case), a pack of 2 corsair 120mm fans (I have two fans on front of case, one on bottom, and one exhausting out the back), And a corsair 850 watt 80plus gold certified PSU (Corsair galore right?) After I purchased all of this (Even got someone who builds computers to come over and made sure it was done correctly.) I started up my computer and launched bf4. I immediately crashed upon game launching (Monitor goes black, switches between video cables then goes black.) and forces me to shut computer down by power button. When I turned computer back on I noticed green horizontal lines and then when computer loaded up to windows I received the pleasant error code 43, (Faulty hardware/drivers). I checked to make sure that the drivers installed were up to date with everything and they were. I called up the EVGA support and told them what happened, and they believe it is a faulty card. Sadly the repair shop that I spent 45 dollars on failed on the diagnoses. At least I purchased all newer components. (CPU is around 20-25 degrees C cooler. Right now it is at 35-40 C which I feel is still highish but better) I have the 560 installed right now which is working just fine. Probably should have done that earlier, but was scared about temps than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.