Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Help: Upgrading to Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT, problem

This is a discussion on Help: Upgrading to Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT, problem within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I have a problem when I'm trying to upgrade to a different video card. I've upgraded my card before,

Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

I have a problem when I'm trying to upgrade to a different video card. I've upgraded my card before, so this isn't my first time.

Here's the scoop. I'm running a Dell Vostro 200 Slim, and I bought this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187061 . It's a low profile card, PCI-E and DVI. So I put in the card, which fits perfectly, and hooked the DVI cable to the monitor. However, when I turn on the monitor, it does not detect anything - it's just a black screen that is looking for a signal (I have it set to digital input for DVI cable, as opposed to analog for VGA). I know nothing is wrong with the cable because it works with my older card.

I then noticed that the video card box came with a small cord, which is the same as the first picture here: http://www.msicomputer.com/support/f...esoformid=2722 . I don't know what this cord does, nor can I find a place for it to connect to inside the computer.

Any help on this matter is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

The cord is for the hdmi pass through , it doesn't have to be connected.

Your more immediate problem is that the vostro 200's power supply doesn't have a 6 pin pci-e connector which is required to be plugged into the card to have it work. It also needs a decent brand 550w or higher with 26 amps on the 12v rail an an 80+ certification.

emosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

So the card is incompatible with my system? Would you be able to recommend me a good upgrade from my current card, ATI RAdeon HD 4350 512MB? Perhaps around $100 or so?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hello!

As emosun said, it is not that graphic card is incompatible but PSU.
You have to try with more powerful PSU.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the help!

If I wanted to upgrade my PSU, are there any specs to look for? I've never upgraded the power supply before.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #6

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hello again!

I am not sure if you can put notmal ATX size PSUs in your case.
You should call Dell's support and check if it is possible or you have to purchase more powerful PSU but from Dell...

Anyway, take a look at these two threads and read them carefully:

Video Card Quick List

and

Power Supply Information and Selection
Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the links!
Unfortunately, I cannot view the first one due to an error message:

jpotter1357, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Unfortunately there really are not any decent power supplies that fit in low profile cases and can support high end cards. Low profile machines in general suffer from this. However they are designed for work environments and have limited upgradability. Not really made for long term gaming.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Registered Member

Darn. Well I'm planning on returning the video card for a a 9600GT, which I've heard works with Vostro 200 slim, but requires an extra item. I heard I need a SATA to Molex adapter, 6-pin or something. Is this the 6-pin connector that you mentioned, emosun? If so, do you know exactly what it is that I'm looking for, because I am unsure. Is any of the items in this picture what I am looking for? http://bitzotech.com/images/20%20&%2...%20PCI%20E.jpg

This is the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187060

Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Even the 9600 will use too much power for your Vostro 200. And as stated your power supply doesn't have a 6 pin connector which is a clue to not use high end cards in the machine. You MIGHT get away with a low end card for a while , but the machine just really shouldn't be using a video card. Once again it's just a work machine more or less.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

Oh oops, my apologies! I misread and thought you meant I didn't have the 6-pin connector, but could get one.

Thanks for the help again!