Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

HDMi audio issues

This is a discussion on HDMi audio issues within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all,1st time poster so be gentle. I recently bought a new PC and as money was a factor i

Old 02-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,1st time poster so be gentle. I recently bought a new PC and as money was a factor i basicaly bought the cheapest I could find and threw in an ASUS EAH4350 graphics card so i can link it up to my TV. My problem is that I dont get any sound thru HDMI,the pic is great,but no audio at all.

I have re-installed windows several times and it wont detect the HDMI audio. I have an intergrated sound card on the mobo and can get sound from that after installing the correct drivers,but as windows doesnt even see the hdmi audio i have no way of installing the correct drivers.In device manager I have no unrecognised devices,I dont have hdmi audio listed as hardware anywhere.

Ive fiddled around with the bios settings,disabling sound,enabling sound etc but stil windows does not see my hdmi audio. Thing is I installed ubuntu and managed to get it working without a problem!

So basically is it a limitation of my cheap mobo? or is it something I can rectify in either the bios or windows?

My specs are
GS7610Ultra mobo
AMD Athlon64 3200+
1 gig of ram
Asus EAH4350 graphics card

Thanx in advance for any replies

Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
GIGO

I recently had the same issue. You need to connect the HDMI cable to the computer, then go into control panel to "manage audio devices" and set HDMI as the default audio device. From then on whenever the HDMI cable is plugged in it will provide the audio output. When the HDMI cable is removed, the system will revert to the normal sound card or mobo audio output.

Oh, and as they say... welcome to TSF!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,thanks for the reply

The problem is that in device manager I do not have a HDMI device listed. The only device listed is the intergrated soundmax card. I am not able to get windows to detect that the HDMI audio device even exists and therefore I am unable to install the drivers for it. I have ran the most recent ati HDMI sound drivers but they dont even detect the device so they dont install.Its as if the HDMI sound feature just doesnt exist tho I know it does as I can get it to work with Ubuntu. I need to find a way to make the device visible to windows(have tried both XP and 7) and both OS have failed to detect that I have a HDMI audio device fitted
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
GIGO

All I can suggest is to make sure you have the HDMI cable connected to the computer and TV before you go looking for the device in control panel. I don't recall exactly but on my laptop the Nvidia (9600GT) HDMI audio device was either grayed or not present at all until the cable was connected. Also on mine Device Manager does not list a HDMI device per se. But it does list the Nvidia hi def codec. The only place I see it called HDMI is under the Win7 "manage audio devices" area of Control Panel.

Also, I just took a quick look at my BIOS and there is nothing in there related to the HDMI audio device. Good luck, and if this doesn't help hopefully one of the TSF gurus can figure it out.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

The HDMI lead is connected to my TV,and I get a great pic.I am able to play videos full screen etc and in full HD.
In device manager there is no mention of any HDMI audio device.I have enabled hidden devices in options and it still doesnt show

I am guessing this is more an issue with windows and is due to my hardware setup and a limitation of the bios when running windows. I have trawled the net and found similar threads but with no fix available

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...hreadid=113768

At a total loss of what to do except hook up seperate speakers and plug into my audio jack on my pc when i want sound.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
GIGO

Too bad. I take it your TV doesn't have a standard "PC input"? If it does you can connect the video via VGA cable (might need DVI to VGA adapter depending on your vid card) and the audio via the regular mini jack audio cable from PC to TV. Not as elegant as HDMI but it works.

Here are shots of how HDMI appears here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDaudio.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	65311   Click image for larger version

Name:	ManageAudio.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	65312  
Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ricerider623

You might try deselecting speakers and dual headphone as default audio to see if it will then register your hdmi connection as shown in second screenshot. Hope it works and welcome to TSF.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
GIGO

Rice,

My HDMI is working just fine. It shifts to HDMI as soon as I plug in the cable. I just supplied that pic for Wid to show how HDMI appears in control panel. His doesn't appear at all.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Here is how it looks on mine witha 3870.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	devices.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	65330  

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread