Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Graphics Card Upgrade

This is a discussion on Graphics Card Upgrade within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello there,I would like to upgrade my sons computer so that he can do some good gaming,when i bought his

Old 04-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello there,I would like to upgrade my sons computer so that he can do some good gaming,when i bought his computer i didnt know much so i just got it because i thought the smaller the better.he has a 250w psu and ive recently had it cleaned. its a 250w psu and he likes to play games like World of Warcraft...but i can tell the way he looks that it isnt very pleasing.. so can you tell me whats the BEST Graphics card for gaming thats LOW PROFILE for this slimline.Ive ordered a 320w psu off ebay luckly i found one and i looked on new egg and i can run about all low profile video cards.

Module:Dell Inspiron Slimline
Psu:320w
Ram:3gb

Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Hello Mspoole,

Welcome to the fourms

I have found a list of graphics cards you could upgrade to that would fit in a slimline

Candidates

A) XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS Low Profile (Part # PV-T72G-WAN7, PV-T72G-WANG) $55

B) Visiontek Radeon X1650 Pro HD Low Profile (Part # V261-4038) $70

C) MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported HDMI HDCP Silent Heatsink Video Card - Retail $76.99

D) Leadtek WinFast PX8500 GT TDH Low Profile $131 (Available in Passive or with Fan versions)

E) Sapphire ATI 256MB X1600PRO HDMI PCI-E (TVO, DVI), Low profile (brackets included) $139

In a slimline case you a very limited to the graphics card capability's, but don't expect any of these cards to play spectacular resolutions or games such as Crysis in maxed. But they will do the job of playing WoW to an extent.

EDIT: thoose cards i mentioned are all PCI slot cards, Do you know if your sons computer is PCI or AGP?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Which model Dell Inspiron there should be a number on the front.

We recommend a minimum of a 550w power supply for decent video cards.
Wrench97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

wrench97,I think thats almost impossible or is impossible for an inspiron 531s or any other slimline. Im not asking for just Crazy graphics but atleast to play on high or medium decently in other words the best i can get with a 320w and a slimline.
:)

Yes Sorry for not listing all that.

Inspiron 531s

PCI-E slot
Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

He also plays Rift,like most WoW players..and sometimes Starcraft
Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What 320w PSU did get?
About the best TFX spec supply I know of is the SS-300tfx from Seasonic, the Sparkle (any model number with "SPI" in it) are pure junk as are quite a few others out there.

The 531s uses a Nvidia chip set motherboard so I would recommend sticking with Nvidia video cards.

The GT210 is about as high as I would use in it> Newegg.com - MSI N210-MD512H GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
Wrench97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Yes stear clean of ATI now AMD? cards.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

To clarify, there is nothing wrong with ATI/AMD chipped GPU's but we don't recommend using them with Nvidia Mobo chipsets as they don't always play well together.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote