Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

graphics card installation

This is a discussion on graphics card installation within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. im trying to install a new grahics card. from a nvidea gt 210hd 1gb ddr3 to an amd asus hd

Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

im trying to install a new grahics card.
from a nvidea gt 210hd 1gb ddr3 to an amd asus hd 6770 1gb ddr5 card.
ive inserted the card but no signal and it beeps 3 times twice, ive looked in bios and its set to auto, am i missing something. because i need to install the software after but how can i when no signal is coming through.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Make sure the card is seated properly and that any auxiliary power connections are connected. What's the brand/model of the power supply?

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
JMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

The graphics card is seated prperly and the power is connected. the power supply is a OCZ 600W. the fan spins but no signal. ive asked friends and the said its a fault on the graphics card, i just want to elimanate possibilities before i take it back because its a trek and a half to go where i got i from.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

How old is the OCZ PSU?
600W should start the GPU but you should be at 650W with a better quality PSU to prevent damage to the 6770.
Can you try the GPU in another PC, that has a good quality 650W minimum PSU, to be certain is is OK?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

ITS A MATTER OF A FEW MONTHS OLD THATS IT. BUT THE CARD NEEDS A MINIMUM OF 500 WATT SO 600 SHOULD DO FINE IT ISNT A CHEEP 1. £60.00 OR NEARLY 120 DOLLARS OR WHATEVER THE EXCHANGE RATE IS. BUT NOT A S**T ONE AT ALL.
AS SOON AS IT GOES UPTO 650 OR 700 WATT THE PRICE GETS INTO THE 80 POUNDS MARK.....WHY WHEN THIS SHOULD DO FINE ESPECIALY WHEN I HAVE FRIENDS RUNNING SLI GRAPHICS FROM THE SAME PSU IVE GOT NO PROBLEM, THATS 1 OF THE REASONS I GOT IT...RECOMMENDATIONS.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

The GPU manufacturer "suggests" a minimum 500W and it will powewr the GPU for a time but the effeciency of lower quality PSU's degrades over time. You need to add 30% to the manufacturer's suggested number to insure reliable sufficient power over time and avoid damage to the GPU as well as other components. Good quality PSU's come at a higher cost because they use quality parts.
OCZ are not terrible but neither are they great quality regardless of what you have heard.
It comes down to your money-your choice.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

I was only going by what the techs said at the place i bought it and my friends using this psu to power 2 nvidia's graphics cards. and like i said 60 pounds for a psu in this country is conciderd pricey. well ive decided to go where i got it from tommorow to see if they can test it. and if it is the graphics card what is faulty ill exchange it and if its the psu then fair enough i'll have to exchange that aswell.
but ill be posting tommorow to say if it worked or not. Thankyou for the helpfull advice......and sorry for the capitals in my last post no offence intended.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Senior Tech hardware team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRICKTITAN View Post
ITS A MATTER OF A FEW MONTHS OLD THATS IT. BUT THE CARD NEEDS A MINIMUM OF 500 WATT SO 600 SHOULD DO FINE IT ISNT A CHEEP 1. £60.00 OR NEARLY 120 DOLLARS OR WHATEVER THE EXCHANGE RATE IS. BUT NOT A S**T ONE AT ALL.
AS SOON AS IT GOES UPTO 650 OR 700 WATT THE PRICE GETS INTO THE 80 POUNDS MARK.....WHY WHEN THIS SHOULD DO FINE ESPECIALY WHEN I HAVE FRIENDS RUNNING SLI GRAPHICS FROM THE SAME PSU IVE GOT NO PROBLEM, THATS 1 OF THE REASONS I GOT IT...RECOMMENDATIONS.
Bottom line is you may spend more first-hand for a quality PSU, but it could save you lots more in the long-run.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Moderator hardware team

My System

Granted OCZ is not one of the preferred manufacturers, regardless the power supply should be more than capable of carrying a 6770.

ELECTRICKTITAN: I'ld have to agree with your friends in post #3. Test the card in another (known good) system. If no joy RMA it.