Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Graphics Card Fan Problem

This is a discussion on Graphics Card Fan Problem within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello and thanks in advance for any help provided. If there is any additional information I need to provide in

Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello and thanks in advance for any help provided. If there is any additional information I need to provide in order to better help ascertain my problem, please ask, and I will do my best to provide it.

The fan on my GeForce 6600 graphics card has recently begun making a strange and fairly loud, annoying sound. At first this noise was a constant high pitched (but louder than normal) whirring that went away for roughly a day. Now it is back and in the form of a pulsing or reving noise that occurs at fairly regular intervals of anywhere around 3-6 seconds. At times the intervals are shorter and the noise higher pitch and vice versa. Sometimes the noise ceases for a several seconds or minutes, but always returns.
The fan cover has a chaintech logo on it, but I am not certain if this is the fan brand.

I have thoroughly cleaned my PC and fans after the noise begun with compressed air and by direct contact in some areas. I have not removed the cover to my fan but have confirmed that it is not catching on anything. I also see that it is running while my computer is on and does not visually appear to speed up or slow down when the sound occurs, but I cannot be certain as it moves very quickly regardless.

My questions pertaining to this problem are:

1. Does anyone know what could be causing or begun this moderate and new annoyance?

2. Is there any way to fix or prevent this pulsing noise without new parts, installation, or computer down time?

3. Does this noise signal a problem with my hardware components that will require parts and replacement as the only solution, and if so, what is the relative price for such parts and the difficulty of their installation?

Thanks,

cckcckcc

Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

1. the fan is probably just getting old or worn out , it's common on older cards with small fans.

2. You can attempt to clean out all the dust from the card using a can of compressed air or an air compressor from a shop. you can also try oiling the fan.

3. Yes the noise is a problem and should be fixed. If the fixes above don't work we can link you to some replacement part options.
emosun is offline   Reply With Quote