Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Graphical objects bleed through open windows

This is a discussion on Graphical objects bleed through open windows within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My FX5600 512 card has been fine for three years, until photos, logos, etc. in an open app. window started

Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

My FX5600 512 card has been fine for three years, until photos, logos, etc. in an open app. window started bleeding through to overlapping windows. For example, if I open a Word 2003 document with inserted .jpg's, and then open Outlook 2003, the photo appears in the Outlook window, blocking out my email text or menus.

So far, I've tried the following:

1. called BFG technical support - was told to download and run a driver remover app. and then install NVidia's older v.77.77. did not correct problem.

2. followed NVidia's BIOS setting guidelines for FX5600 (palette snooping, aperture, etc. - did not work.

3. bought an ATI X1300 512. Removed NVidia driver, installed ATI and drivers, and same problem occured.

So, if it's hardware, then it is not the video card. Or, it is software related. I'm running XP Pro SP2. I've googled to no avail on this.

Any ideas?

Old 08-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I'm not sure what you mean by bleeding. It would help if we could look at it. Could you take a screenshot (hit the Print Screen key and then do a paste operation in any paint program) and then post it? If you can't see the "bleeding" when you look at the screenshot bitmap on another computer then you could have a monitor problem or a video card output problem.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Uncle Macro - thanks for your interest.

Here are three screenshots. View 1 shows a Word document open, with embedded .JPG files. View 2 shows Outlook and then Excel open over Word. The left side shows the edges of two JPG's. View three, after 2-3 minutes delay, shows all four JPG's now showing through Outlook to the Excel window.

I don't think it is the video card because this happens with both an NVidia and an ATI card. This is a new one for me! My monitor is a Planar M201 20" lcd using a DVI connection. Res is 1600 x 1200. Sorry about setting the jpegs to such low resolution - but good enough to illustrate the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	7852   Click image for larger version

Name:	View 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	7854   Click image for larger version

Name:	View 3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	7855  

Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
From the looks of it I'd say this is an OS issue rather than a video issue. I suggest a repair installations of your OS.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you a setting in your browser to keep windows ontop
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I use Firefox and do not see such a setting. This problem is occuring without any browser running.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Re: OS - will try the repair. Away a few days so may not get to it right away. My workaround for now is minimizing all but the current app. window.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

right click on the taskbar and see if it is in the options box that pops up
Old 08-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

I assume you mean in firefox. No "options" when I right click on any of the bars. Also, Tools|Options on the Firefox menu bar does not have such a configuration option. I've checked every tab and all "Advanced" pages - no dice.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

no iam refering to the taskbar at the bottom of your screen
Old 08-16-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Finally able to act on your advice today.

Dai - The "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" is unchecked. Checking or unchecking it does not resolve the issue.

ebackhus - I did a full repair installation with a WinXP Pro SP2 slipstreamed CD - problem remains. The bleed throughs mask the work I'm doing in the active window. I workaround them by minimizing inactive windows, but that slows down my inter-application work.

This seems to be an extremely weird and rare issue - cannot find anything on Google that is the same problem.

Any other ideas, anyone?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i have never struck it before and drew a blank searching
run
sfc /scannow
and see if something has changed the system files causing the problem
Old 08-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to whardman Send a message via MSN to whardman
Could try reinstalling / repairing MS Office, since it is office that is causing the problems. Also what happens if you try to move the windows or focus on word then back to outlook?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

whardman - things just got more weird. Before doing the office 23003 repair, I tried moving the underlying window and seeing if anything changed in the active window. Repositioning the Word document caused the bleedthrough to disappear for a few seconds, only to have it reappear in its original position! Is it in memory? There was no "repositioned" bleedthrough.

I also put Outlook away and tested the bleedthrough with Firefox 1.5.0.6 while writing this reply. The graphics bled through, so while the problem source may be Office, it affects other programs too.

I will try the Office repair next. Also, I should mention that I have Office 2007 Beta installed in a separate folder than 2003 (with exception of Outlook 2007, which I removed in favor of staying with 2003). I rarely use 2007 though.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Dai - sfc /scannow found no problems (I had just done an XP Pro w/SP2 repair reinstall)

whardman - did an Office repair and found no problems - problem remains.

Does the fact that the bleedthrough graphics retain their original position even when the underlying window is moved offer a clue? I expected the bleeds to move along with the source.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i cannot find anything from searching,the only thing i can think of is somewhere you have set something to keep them on top what program were you using with these images
Old 08-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
Registered Member

My System

I have another clue - although I do not understand what it actually means. I went to Control Panel|Display|Settings|Advanced and moved the hardware acceleration bar from "Full" to "None". After rebooting, the bleedthroughs stopped. Now, I want to test the slider at the halfway point, but I get a message that "the NVidia Display Panel Extension cannot be created" because hardware acceleration is turned off. I've disabled NvCplDaemon and NvMediaCenter in my startup folder, but that doesn't help.

So, I have a clue that I cannot interpret (hardware or software issue?) and a secondary Catch 22 issue that both requires me to and prevents me from turning hardware acceleration back on!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to whardman Send a message via MSN to whardman
After googling that error message ....

control panel > system > advanced tab > click settings under performance > click advanced, and make sure memory usage is set to Programs instead of System Cache

- or -

try this ...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._20377375.html

In case you can't see the answer ...
Quote:
ok, first thing to do is to make sure that the card has an IRQ assigned to it in the BIOS.

Next, Un-install all the detonator drivers.

Allow win XP to load the default drivers - these work albeit no Open GL.

Then load the detonator drivers. I would suggest the 30.82 as the 40 series are more for the GF4/Nforce chipset and will offer no improvements for the GeForce2MX.

If your card has anything special such as TV-OUT, I would suggest using the drivers from the card manufacturer rather that the Dets, mainly because card manufacturers sometimes stray from the original design and may have a different TV-OUT sub system that the dets do not fully support.

This should sort this out for you. Also ensure that the card is acually enabled in device manager.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

Thanks, whardman. OK, my BFG Nvidia FX5600 512mb is working fine in Device Manager. The driver version is 7.7.7.7. It shows assignment of IRQ16.

When you say delete all "detonator" drivers, do you mean the Nvidia driver? I do not see any separate detonator files but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Also, I was able to access the hardware acceleration slider. Moving it to the third position from left (no DirectX or DirectDraw support) resolves the bleedthrough all the time (with write combining checked). Moving it to fourth position resolves the issue some of the time. Anything higher (including write combining checked or unchecked) the problem is constant.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #20
Registered Member

My System

Today the problem got worse. Editing a large powerpoint, i found that each page's photo or other graphic inserts would wink out after a few seconds, making it very difficult to edit. This may be a result of having to reduce hardware acceleration to "resolve" [not really] the bleed through problem. I think it is a CPU problem that will only get worse. Rather than wait until that happens, or buy another P4, I'm considering doing a new build, re-using my 2 rapters, 2 seagates, and two DVD-Roms. What do people think of the following system for under $900 shipped from New Egg in new parts?:

MSI 975x Platinum v.2
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Mushkin PC6400 (2 x 1gb)
Antec P150 case with Neo 430 (my current system below has been fine with a Smartpower 380 in a Sonata I case)
ASUS EN7600GS Silent 512mb PCI Express (I'm moderately graphics intensive but not a gamer)

With re-use of my sata1's this should be a big bang for the buck. Does anyone see any incompatibilities? A better way to go? I want to avoid AM2/AMD x2/Asus/Neo type conflicts.