Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] GPU's overheating

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  gonlaz 
#1 · (Edited)
Good day,

I say gpu's because I only use one however I have switched them out as part of the troubleshooting. They both overheat as soon as I begin Playing WoW. I have the build and it is very recent, things have been fine. Also been playing wow for 6 years now and only had an issue on an old build that was corrected.

Anyways, GPU fires up to 50 c and above when wow comes on now, and computer shuts down...kinda sounds like psu but the gpu is the only temp rising. When idle temp is 35c

What I have done:

Cleaned off heat sink and applied cooler master thermo paste.

Switched out gpu's: one a Radeon 6800 one a Radeon 7700, both overheat.

I have HW monitor and speed fan, they both show the same temps.
I am in power saving mode.
I do not own any other tools.

My build:

Intel Core i5 4430 @ 3.00GHz Haswell 22n Technology

465GB ATA ST500DM002-1BD14 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

DELL U2312HM (1920x1080@60Hz) 1024MB

ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (XFX Pine Group)

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-E (SOCKET 1150)

6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

PSU:
Cooler Master RS-700-ACAA-B1 Active PFC
i700 700W Power Supply 120mm fan
ATX 12V V2.31 Single Rail-55A
90-120 / 220-264 Vac / 10-5A / 50-60Hz
Dual +12V outputs MTBF up to 100,000 Hours

What do I need to do to verify if psu is failing? Should this be in that forum if it is the GPU that is overheating?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: GPU's overheating

Just to clarify - I applied the paste to the CPU first, just a small dab. And also now the speedfan program shows the gpu temp at -999c, what on earth is going on

#3 ·

speedfan is for fans and should not be used for temps, use CPUID hardware monitor, real temp (only does cpu) or coretemp.

go into your bios and verify the temps and also look for the psu voltages i.e 12v, 3.3 and 5v.

When was the last time you blew any dust out of the case with compressed air?

#4 ·

speedfan is for fans and should not be used for temps, use CPUID hardware monitor, real temp (only does cpu) or coretemp.

go into your bios and verify the temps and also look for the psu voltages i.e 12v, 3.3 and 5v.

When was the last time you blew any dust out of the case with compressed air?
Cleaned it today actually, and before that about 2 months. Speedfan does show temps though, is it not supposed to do that?

Ok under HWMonitor, under radeon series 7700 section>voltages:
1.200V .825V 1.200V

Temperatures value - 51C min 37c max 54c

#6 ·

Ok sorry, I will post that info. Only thing I am concerned with is that this only happens when I game so I have to turn off the computer, no game no raised temps. I will post in a few

#7 ·

if the temps you posted from hardware monitor are the gpu temps then your card is not overheating.

I am asking for your psu voltages because if they drop to a certain level they can cause the issue you are having.

#8 ·

Ok well I had a screen of the temps in hwmonitor but in the txt file it's nonsense.

The GPU temp got up to 56c

Voltage from BIOS

3.3V = 3.360

5V = 5.160

12V = 12.00

Does his help?
My cpu temp is fine, 29 - 37 c usually.

#10 ·

56 degrees c is not high.

Your psu voltages look fine.

what temp is the gpu getting to when you play wow?

are the are any bluescreens?
This just started last night, they got as high as 60, no blue screens thankfully and no other issues.

I guess I thought 55-60 was too high, if not something else entirely must have shut the pc down

#12 ·

No files found at the location the system advised I look %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
when I selected kernel memory there were no files either /shrug

#13 ·

Is it possible the GPU isn't smart enough to turn the fan speed up at certain intervals of raised temperature? I dealt with that with my old HD5870. Someone suggested MSI Afterburner to set a profile to monitor GPU temps. Could that be a solution? It worked for me, until it burned up two months later.

#15 ·

Is msi afterburner user friendly? My technical prowess stops after simple to moderate troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.