Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Flashing black bars across monitor? (W/Screenshot)

This is a discussion on Flashing black bars across monitor? (W/Screenshot) within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys. Lately I've been having this problem with my monitor (or Graphics card, not quite sure at this point)

Old 08-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys. Lately I've been having this problem with my monitor (or Graphics card, not quite sure at this point) in which there are flashing black bars going across the screen, and I could really use some help. The problem persists usually about every other day, but it has never been quite as bad as this before. Attached and at the bottom of this post is a screenshot of the monitor with the black bars.

I've noticed that this happens more frequently when I play games such as Team Fortress 2 on Steam. The black bars would actually usually start at that point, and I would even find blue pixels laying in spots across the screen at some times. After playing for about an hour the game/screen would either start flickering or a message will pop-up stating, "Input Signal out of range".

I have a second monitor that doesn't have this problem at all, and this all started after I had returned from vacation in Mexico.

Steps I've taken
-Reinstalled and Reverted to old NVIDIA drivers
-Checked for new monitor drivers
-Checked monitor resolution and attempted using the monitor at a refresh rate of 59Hz/s
-Checked and unplugged/replugged monitor cables.

Also, a note: While in some programs (such as Firefox, Office, or Chrome) the black bars seem to have stopped. But going back to the desktop and they're still flashing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Specs
HP 2709m LCD Monitor
BFG 275 GTX
Core i7 920, @2.66Ghz (Not OCd atm)
750W PSU

Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What make model of psu?

What are your temps of the gpu ingame and idle?

I am leaning to the monitor going bad since the other monitor does not have problems, but lets be sure

shotgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the response.

PSU is a Thermaltake ToughPower XT 750W.

GPU on idle: http://i.imgur.com/wB3pm.png
GPU in game: http://i.imgur.com/wB3pm.png
Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Those are cpu temps, Use gpu-z (link in my sig) for video card (gpu) temps

Nice choice on psu BTW :)
Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oh wow, a stupid mistake on my part. Thanks for the program recommendation. Here are the GPU Screencaps:

GPU In-Game:
GPU on Idle:
Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It is a little high, not bad considering those cards are notoriously hot, Try bumping the fan speed up to 60% and see what it does to the said monitor in question
Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Currently installing RivaTuner. I'll get back to you on how it goes.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the PSU compliment! I got it for a very cheap price after my BFG broke down.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

I adjusted fan speed to 60%. Temperatures dropped across the board, but I'm still having the same problem.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Looks like the monitor is going bad then, Every thing else looks fine. If the monitor is still fairly new it might still have some warranty left.

You also might want to try it on another computer as well
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgn View Post
Looks like the monitor is going bad then, Every thing else looks fine. If the monitor is still fairly new it might still have some warranty left.

You also might want to try it on another computer as well
It's about two years old, so hopefully you're right. Thanks again for helping me pinpoint the problem: I'll double check everything with my computer upstairs.