Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Every video card I install starts making rattling noise, 2 dead cards so far

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  emosun 
#1 ·
I have a HP Slimline s3100y that's gone through three video cards in three years. The first one failed due to what seemed to overheating, the second made a rattling noise for a few months before finally dying after some unexplained power failure (thread here), and the third one that I literally just installed is also making the same rattling noise until I slap the side of the case.

Obviously, theres something wrong with the computer that's killing the video cards. But what? Could using a wrong power cord, which I suspect I am, cause this? Dying motherboard?

#2 ·
That machine only uses a 180w power supply and isn't really setup for video cards. That motherboard and case can easily go in several configurations so just because it has a port where a gpu can fit doesn't mean your suppose to actually use it.

I can easily see your previous cards frying from a low end power supply and overheating in that small case. As for the rattling the cards fan is probably running at high speed to try to keep the card cool.

Slimline pc's are not really made for gpu upgrades , they're made as office/school computers. I'm willing to bet the onboard gpu the machine was designed for works fine?

#3 ·
That machine only uses a 180w power supply and isn't really setup for video cards. That motherboard and case can easily go in several configurations so just because it has a port where a gpu can fit doesn't mean your suppose to actually use it.
The stock GPU (one of three the machine has gone through) that came with the machine failed. Does this mean that it was improperly designed and is doomed to not having a GPU?

I'm willing to bet the onboard gpu the machine was designed for works fine?
The onboard GPU does works fine.

So basically, there's nothing I can do to stop the current GPU from eventually failing?

#4 ·
The stock GPU (one of three the machine has gone through) that came with the machine failed. Does this mean that it was improperly designed and is doomed to not having a GPU?
Unlike cars , computers LOOK like they are designed well, but most times are not. They are designed to only last the warranty period.

So basically, there's nothing I can do to stop the current GPU from eventually failing?
If it was in a more ventilated case with a decent power supply it would be better off , but currently I can see it going bad again.

#6 · (Edited)
Capacitor aging , sometimes the temperature/humidity can mess with components. Sometimes higher end fans don't work as good over time.

They're made to be used not sit. A machine can go bad all by itself even if it's sealed in the box for many years.

I once pulled an old gateway out of storage that simply refused to run and boot properly even though it was put away working. Took a few hours but it finally came around all by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.