Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Dual Monitor with emachine 1850

This is a discussion on Dual Monitor with emachine 1850 within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ok, i am trying to set up a 2nd monitor on my desktop to expand my workspace. My emachines, currently

Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

ok, i am trying to set up a 2nd monitor on my desktop to expand my workspace. My emachines, currently doesnt have a 2nd VGA or video port. it does have an empty slot below the VGA port. Does anyone have any advice as how to get the dual monitor set up

Any help would be awesome

Old 08-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If you use a VGA splitter you will have dual monitor, but both monitors will show the same thing. I believe there is a second option which will enable you to have the dual monitor setup where the computer will see it as a single, large monitor, i.e. if you maximize a window, it will be blown up across the two monitors.

In order to have it so you can see different things on each monitor (a browser in one, something else in the other), you would need either a second video card, or a single video card with 2 video ports. To do this, you would likely also need to upgrade your power supply as there's a good chance you're only running onboard graphics with the emachines and the power supply currently in there wouldn't be recommended to handle a PCI-E GPU.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is that a EL 1850 slim case PC?
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote