Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Does having multiple graphic cards improve/ help gaming performance?

This is a discussion on Does having multiple graphic cards improve/ help gaming performance? within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Does having multiple graphic cards improve/ help gaming performance? If so, then how does it improve/ help gaming on

Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

Does having multiple graphic cards improve/ help gaming performance? If so, then how does it improve/ help gaming on a PC?

Thank you for your time.

--Dell

Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

for 2x the cost, 2x the heat output, and 2x the electrical use for maybe a 25% increase in performance.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus View Post
for 2x the cost, 2x the heat output, and 2x the electrical use for maybe a 25% increase in performance.
And thats if you are lucky.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Moderator hardware team

My System

Quote:
Does having multiple graphic cards improve/ help gaming performance?
The short answer to this: yes.
The real answer: At low resolutions on a single monitor, dual gpu's will give you little or no benefit over a single card. At high resolutions (> 1920) and using multiple monitors there is marked improvement. In most cases though, you can achieve the same performance boost by using a single, higher end card.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

To the two people who posted, can you provide my with some anecdotal evidence about that?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
The short answer to this: yes.
The real answer: At low resolutions on a single monitor, dual gpu's will give you little or no benefit over a single card. At high resolutions (> 1920) and using multiple monitors there is marked improvement. In most cases though, you can achieve the same performance boost by using a single, higher end card.
Is the purpose of multiple graphics cards for gaming or just multiple monitors?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Moderator hardware team

My System

The purpose is to improve graphics performance. You get the most benefit when using multiple monitors at higher resolutions.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Well the other purpose is to make you spend twice as much on two gpu's rather then one as well. Also check the "gpu benchmarks" link in my sig. Evey dual card setup is barely 25% faster then run with the same card alone.

The reason is because having two gpu's will not magically make your cpu or ram any faster , only your video performance. Both cpu and ram also dictate fps not just gpu speed.
emosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to sircanegiem

http://www.techspot.com/review/309-g...nce/page6.html
This review compares a single GTX 460 to two in SLI.

In the Just Cause 2 benchmarks on top here, SLI doesn't scale very well and there's only a ~30% boost in framerates.
The Crysis benchmarks below that show a ~90% boost though.

If you're thinking about using more than one video card, I'd look up benchmarks for the games that you play and at least see if your games will work well with multiple cards, then make your own decision. I personally think that one higher-powered card is a better alternative though, and your power supply will be happier going that route too.

And with all video cards, make sure you have an equally powerful CPU to balance it/them out. The review above was running a 3.70GHz Core i7 920. If you're running two $200 video cards on a $50 processor, you're going to run into serious diminishing returns -- even moreso than installing two cards in the first place.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by emosun View Post
Well the other purpose is to make you spend twice as much on two gpu's rather then one as well. Also check the "gpu benchmarks" link in my sig. Evey dual card setup is barely 25% faster then run with the same card alone.

The reason is because having two gpu's will not magically make your cpu or ram any faster , only your video performance. Both cpu and ram also dictate fps not just gpu speed.
And there you have it.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

One of the other possible advantages of a dual card setup is (in nvidia cards anyways, not sure about ATI's) that you can dedicate one card to PhysX processing only, while the other one will be utilized for polygons, and whatnot. Not sure how much of an improvement in graphics processing this will actually make as I just run a single higher powered card, but the theory is sound.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I have run SLI before I went all AMD. When it didn't have a negative effect the improvement was minimal.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote