Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Computer makes beeping noises on start up and wont work

This is a discussion on Computer makes beeping noises on start up and wont work within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Well, today when I woke up I tried starting my computer, but it started making beeping noises and the light

Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Well, today when I woke up I tried starting my computer, but it started making beeping noises and the light on the expansion bay started flashing. I looked up the problem, and found it it's beep code. The beeps my computer is making is as follows:

short, short, long
short, short, long
short, short, long
short, short, long
short, short, long

There is a one second interval in between each set. I went to the HP site and found this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...bph07107#N1010 . However, I'm not sure if it applies to my BIOS or not. I have a HP Pavilion Media Center m8120n TV PC, 3GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7350 LE Graphics Card, and about 500GB of HDD space, and an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600.

I tried looking for the specific BIOS on my computer, but couldn't find it. So I can only assume what they say is my problem is what it actually is. Which is that my computer was "Unable to initialize video or video card required but not installed". This computer is about 4 years old, and I have never changed the card, and have not updated the drivers for several months. How can I fix this problem? I read on other forums where people where having problems with their RAM they had to try putting it into a different slot, however, I'm not sure if my computer has multiple PCI-E slots to do this. Furthermore, If I do have to do something similar, I have no means of grounding myself. Would it be okay if I just did this with my hands? Or should I just spend the extra money to buy something to ground myself with.

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

As far as the grounding goes just take your sock off and touch foot to something metal like a chair leg.

It can't hurt to pull the graphics card and reseat it. If it still doesn't work maybe you know someone with a pc you can try your graphics card in or someone who has a graphics card that you can borrow to test your pc with?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Touch the metal part of the case frame before touching anything inside the pc and you and the PC will have the same grounding.

It's probably a failing video card try removing the card and cleaning the contacts on the bottom edge with a clean pencil type eraser stroke from the top to the bottom edge only not from the edge up.
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

So, when I tried reseating it, I noticed this:

The second last tooth/pin is chipped off. Could this be the problem? I tried looking into the slot and didn't find anything. If it is that chipped off part causing the problems, do I need to get an entirely new graphics card? I think I would have to, since it prob. isn't even making contact, but would like to confirm.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

That's normal you see that on most if not all cards.
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

I see, so I guess the steps to take from here are testing it with another graphics card. And if it works with that card, to just buy a new card correct?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

correct if another card of EQUAL power is tested and works then it would be your that cause the prob . BTW you can just return the card as long as its under warranty