Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Computer keeps switching from 32 to 8 bit color

This is a discussion on Computer keeps switching from 32 to 8 bit color within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Don't really know whats going on here.. The computer screen will just go black sometimes, and switch to 8bit color.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Don't really know whats going on here.. The computer screen will just go black sometimes, and switch to 8bit color. I switch it back, and it'll be fine for a while, but eventually, screen goes black, and it switches to 8bit again. Not playing any games, just surfing. I know I have some spyware, but I'm trying to resolve that in the hijack this area, but I really dont' think it's that. Anyone ever heard of this kind of thing?? I've tried to search, but came up with nothing.

It's an onboard video hookup (no vid card) with a monitor that works fine with all my other computers. (I'm working on this one for a friend) I can easily switch it back to 32, but eventually, it goes back to 8. Any info would help. Thanks..

Old 08-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

do you have the right drivers installed for your video card?

Old 08-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Not a vid card.. It's an onboard hookup. Just like the mouse and the keyboard.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Even if it is onboard, there are still drivers for it. These are on the CD that came with your motherboard. If that doesn't help, wait until you have all your spyware cleaned out and see if that helps.
Ralck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Tried to update the driver via device manager properties and it sent me to 4bit color with no other options. Rolled back the drivers and now all I have is 8bit....
Old 08-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Went to intels site and downloaded a driver and I have 32 bit color back.. I'll let you know if it switches back to 8 again.. Thanks for the driver ideas though.. I was sure that it was spyware related though.. just didn't know if anyone had heard of a virus doing that to a computer...

edit: Only have 16 and 32 bit now.. so atleast it won't look as bad if it switches..

So far, so good.. it's been about 20 mins, and no changes..
Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thought everything was fine, but I guess not.. When I open AOL, it switched back to 8bit. Seems strage...

Problem was gone for quite a while, but I was using boradband. Today, tried to get on AOL via my dialup and BAM.. as soon as I started AOL, computer jumped to 8bit..

Oh, btw.. spyware is clean.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
If AOL dial-up is causing the problem then I'm thinking it could be a resource issue between the modem and the video controller. If you can, try moving the modem to another free slot in the computer.

Another (slightly snooty) solution would be getting rid of AOL and going with a regional ISP.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus
If AOL dial-up is causing the problem then I'm thinking it could be a resource issue between the modem and the video controller. If you can, try moving the modem to another free slot in the computer.

Another (slightly snooty) solution would be getting rid of AOL and going with a regional ISP.
Sound sto me like shared Graphics memory, you know what onboard memory you got for the card and if its shared or not? that could be the problem.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

It's not when I actually try to sign on, it happens as soon as I open AOL.

It's intel extreme graphics but I don't know if it's shared. Do you think putting a new card in would solve the problem?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #11
Registered Member

Please go to this site http://www.mypccenter.com - run a full scan and post the report link here - it will show all hardware/software information and will help finding the reason for your problem.

The report will show all software installed and will help me see what the problem is with your machine; I am using it all the time with my clients.

The report looks like this
http://www.mypccenter.com/onepagerep...1516B17138088E
Old 08-08-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifan1354
Do you think putting a new card in would solve the problem?
I think so but i wouldnt go out and buy a new one yet, borrow one from a friend or relatives computer and test it.