Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer gone haywire?

3K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  Baeo 
#1 ·
Hello fellow forum users!

In recent times, my computer has started bugging out (again) whenever I play just about any game. After a while, the screen will flash, then a screen with (usually a certain color) stripes going down it will appear, and my computer will freeze.

This is a picture of the stripe things:

http://i.imgur.com/Ma6g1.jpg

I'm speculating it has something to do with a faulty or corrupted video card, but I wanted some other opinions before taking action. If anyone knows what this is all about, that'd be great!

Thanks for your time!
-Baeo

#3 ·
Windows Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Memory (RAM): 6.135GB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
CPU Speed: 2670.8 MHz
Display Adapters: Radeon 5970 RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
Screen Resolution: 1920 X 1080 - 32 bit
Network Adapters: Bigfoot Networks Killer Ethernet Controller | Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet | Hamachi Network Interface
CD / DVD Drives: 1x (D: | ) D: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24AAS
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 596.1GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 369.7GB
USB Controllers 8 host controllers.
Firewire (1394) 1 host controllers.
Manufacturer: Alienware
Product Make: Aurora
BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 10/28/09 | ALWARE - 20091028
Battery Status: No Battery
Motherboard: Alienware 0H869M

#5 ·
The OEM Model Number would have been sufficient but that tells us most of what we need.
Remove the case side and look at the PSU label for a Brand Name and Model Number.
Alienware, as well as most all OEM PC's, use low quality underpowered PSU's.
You should be at 850W minimum with a good quality PSU for the 5970.

#9 ·
Okay, well I've found it, but it's proving itself to be a pain to take out and see the label on the side of the casing. The wires are still hooked up to the back of it, so I can't pull it out all the way, the wires are also being blocked, so unhooking them is quite hard

#11 ·
It says 850W on the label but it's a Dell so I doubt it can actually put out that number.
It 'should" be OK but OEM PSU's are always questionable. How old is the PC?
I am very skeptical about any OEM PVC over 2 yrs. old and your problem indicates a power problem or perhaps the GPU if the PSU has damaged it.

#13 ·
OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer ( i.e. Dell-HP- etc.).
3 yrs.is the usual warranty period for most PSU's. Top quality units have a 5 to 7 yr. warranty.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality PSU's.

#15 ·
Your problem indicates a power issue.
Your OEM PSU is about 3 yrs. old
Nothing should be loose in the PSU so that also indicates an issue with the PSU.
You could try your GPU in another PC with a minimum 850W good quality PSU.
My best advice would be to borrow or purchase a good quality 850W minimummPSUto try.

#19 ·
So I cleaned out the computer of all the dust and all that good stuff, opened the PSU, cleaned out all the dust in there. Cleaned out all the fans. Now it seems to work fine while playing games. But I'll still remember your guys' advice in case it starts happening again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.