Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Blank screen during boot

This is a discussion on Blank screen during boot within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've recently replaced my CRT monitor with a new Iiyama ProLite E2403WS LCD monitor. Everything works fine except that now

Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've recently replaced my CRT monitor with a new Iiyama ProLite E2403WS LCD monitor. Everything works fine except that now with the new monitor the screen is blank (blue*) while my PC boots, and remains blank until Windows/Ubuntu (it's a dual boot PC) has finished booting and the login screen appears.

The graphics card is an nVidia FX5200 with dual D-sub/DVI out and TV out. The PC was built from fairly high-spec components about three years ago and has worked faultlessly with both the CRT monitor and a 17" Neovo LCD connected to either the D-sub or DVI output. My son built the computer and kept his monitor when he sold it to me.

I have the new monitor connect to the DVI output using the DVI-HDMI cable supplied. The D-sub input of the new monitor is connected to an old Acorn, and works fine. I use the 'source select' to switch between the two computers.

I can live without the boot screen unless I need to change the BIOS or something but it does make selecting Ubuntu safe mode difficult. I have to count arrow presses to choose the boot option I want!

Has anyone any idea why this new monitor does not display anything during booting when connected to the DVI out as described?

*This is the same blue colour which appears when either computer goes into standby mode (blank screen), and there is no signal. The LCD some time later blanks itself when it goes into standby.

This suggests that the nVidia card is not outputting anything during the boot sequence, whereas it did with the 17" Neovo LCD monitor. Perhaps it simply doesn't recognise the new monitor and defaults to 'no output'???

I've read the monitor manual and tried Googling but all I've found is the Windows 'blue screen of death' and that's not my problem!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

I use to have the same problem a while back when I went from CRT to LCD
The only thing I could even suggest would be to check and make sure your Video Settings are correct... U know... Your resolution size... I know this may sound silly, But ALOT of LCD's can not handle certain Resolutions... and make sure your running the right refresh rate for that monitor....

I even know a guy who had to FORMAT his PC because he could not figure out the problem either.... But after a fresh OS install with all Updated Drivers etc... It worked great!

I myself do not Format my HD UNLESS Absolutelty neccessary

Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for trying to help, but as I've said, the blank screen occurs before Windows/Linux boots, so it's the graphics card power up default settings - I think - and not likely anything to do with what's on the hard drive! :o
Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Update: Apparently this PC has never displayed the boot sequence from the graphics card DVI output. I didn't know, but my son gave up using the DVI output, and went back to using the D-sub, as there was little difference in the image quality.

I also used the D-sub output (for my CRT monitor), until I got my new LCD monitor with the DVI > HDMI cable, and switched over. That's when I noticed no boot sequence display! So, it should be easier to resolve, now this is established.

The question is: How does one configure an nVidia GeForce FX5200 to output on the DVI connector after power up but before Windows/Linux has booted? Or is it not an option?

I've just found the manual online, but if anyone knows the answer... Might save a lot of reading! ;)
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

Well, I've looked through the manual and I've not managed to resolve this problem.

If anyone knows why an nVidia GeForce FX5200 doesn't output a signal on the DVI port during system boot, please please please let us know! ;)
Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi, Dear 1st of all restart your system then press f8 key then in dos mod display you will get some option like start window in safe mode, so start your computer in safe mode then change your display setting 1024*768 pixel or more then after that restart your computer, hope so your problem will be solved
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

i just purchased the ati card 9550 and when installed the computer beeps and the lights blank yellow can anyone tell me why, this is a hp computer pent4
Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeyawh View Post
i just purchased the ati card 9550 and when installed the computer beeps and the lights blank yellow can anyone tell me why, this is a hp computer pent4

If you have a problem can you make your own thread? Makes things a lot simpler.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi,

1st of all clear me some things, when you booting the computer can you see dos mode configuration during booting your computer? if yes then restart your computer in safe mode and try to install your driver for VGA card, if you you cant see any thing even during booting process then replace your VGA card, when ever computer is starting and you heard the 1 tone thats mean problem with VGA card

Regards

Muhammad waqas
Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to TheUSMale2

Monitor-dos problem using HDMI connection, having same problem!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Acer x233H monitor which has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI & 1 VGA connection. My Video card is the ATI sapphire HD 3870 which has 2 DVI with 1 HDMI adapter.
My MoBo is the Intel DP45SG.
Problem: If I just connect the HDMI connector, during bootup I see nothing in the (Dos) mode/screen,but do start seeing everything when the windows interface starts. If I connect a DVI connection also i now see the dos screens as well and can now make my selection as to what OS I want to boot to. Is this right? do I need both connections to get my dos screen plus have windows work in HDMI mode (for movies, gaming)?