Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

Best Vid card for my set up?

This is a discussion on Best Vid card for my set up? within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi , Im upgrading my sys OS ( from vista ultimate 64 to win7 ulti 64) and vid card (nvid

Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi , Im upgrading my sys OS ( from vista ultimate 64 to win7 ulti 64) and vid card (nvid evga GTX285 to ??) to be able to play the newer games with dx11 , BF3 , Skyrim ect .. ( i also play some older games and read that Radeon card's play the older titles a bit smoother , nothing to old except Falcon 4 BMS ,its my oldest game that i still play, my GTX285 runs them fine tho )

Sys: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.20Ghz , 8 gigs DDR3, GIGABYTE MA790XT-UD4P mobo , 1000w PS ... (only one PCe slot on the mobo)

My 2 choises are,

1. EVGA DS Superclocked 015-P3-1587-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...
Model #:015-P3-1587-AR (or the 590 because it's duall? herd through the threads its got alot of probs but its a duall card for my single slot? )

and ,

2. XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Model #:HD-697A-CNFC (read about the 2nd gig of mem not being used by any games to date?)

Ive been pretty happy with the GTX285 however it has had it probs ,like the Black screen 3-5- sec freeze with the "your vid card has recovered from bla bla " yellow triangel msg in the tool bar ..happends about 10% of the time with certin games , rFactor to name one ..

I have read some on it to know its commen with nvid users >

That said i havent had any ATI/AMD vid cards cince early rage pro and i hated that card ..lol switched to VOODOO and loved it .. but that was back along time ago ..

I cant help but think the XFXRadeon might work better with my mobo as its an AMD chip set ? on the same note i have this crazy thought that the reason for my black screens is for that same reason the nvid gpu on the amd cpu ?? just reaching here ..but thats why im asking the pro's .lol !

Ive herd alot of players are having fits with nvid and BF3 beeing unplayable , crashing after 10-20 min of online ect ... and have also herd the Radeon guys have driver nightmears ..

So im trying to get an idea of what will be best for me . pluss the $150.00 price deff ! lol but that will not be the determining factor .. I will pay for performance !! (if its there) .. i just want a gammer that will kick *** with my spec's

I built this sys from advise on this site and im back for some more good advise !!

Thanks