Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

atikmpag.sys blue screen of death

This is a discussion on atikmpag.sys blue screen of death within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Sapphire 4890 1GB GDDR5 GPU, and the bsod is always atikmpag.sys. When the BSOD occurs, the screen

Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Sapphire 4890 1GB GDDR5 GPU, and the bsod is always atikmpag.sys.
When the BSOD occurs, the screen will completely artifact over, and the mouse pointer is frozen and also corrupted over, and then the screen goes black for a few seconds, and the BSOD pops up. I've tried driver sweeper, setting my i7 back to stock speeds, 10.5 and 10.6 drivers, BIOS update for motherboard, Sapphire's own drivers, and also the verifier tool and memtest. So far nothing has fixed it. I emailed Sapphire's tech support and they seemed like they wanted to RMA the card right away without getting much information about the problem, but after purchasing it, I have heard nightmare stories about their RMA process and I can't be without the card for a month or more. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try or what I should do?

EDIT: Also my PC information on the forum isn't correct. I have windows 7 x64, 6GB corsair DDR3, i7 920 @ stock (temporarily until I fix this issue). Also, I attached the two most recent dumps after doing all those aforementioned things.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dumps.zip (193.3 KB, 3 views)

Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Their RMA process is quite painless, I have done a couple without any hitches, I would defiantly RMA the card

shotgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

I guess one reason I feel reluctant is that I told them about the problem and they instantly responded saying they wanted to RMA it and didn't seem too interested in trying to see if something else was at play. I don't really want to be without the card for a long time if it's a software or driver issue or the like.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

What are the other specs of the system?

What MB installed?

What brand/wattage PSU?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium
PSU: Corsair 750TX
CPU intel i7 920
RAM 6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ypu have a really good psu...can you get into bios and post the temps and voltages?
shotgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'm using XMS on the RAM for voltages, and the rest is set to auto. Max temps on the CPU is about 60C in heavy gaming and the GPU can get up to around 72C during heavy gaming. Whenever I was overclocking previously I mainly set BCLK and upped the voltage very mildly on the CPU but never messed around with the PCI-E bus. Also, I recently found out that my sound card was having some driver verifier issues so I removed that and it hasn't happened since, but the problem is pretty rare to begin with so it could just be coincidence certainly.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

I had the exact same problem (with my Gigabyte HD 5870), H246 videos would make my computer BSOD in win7 and just crash the drivers in winXP. Same with youtube videos if I had flash hardware acceleration on.

Solution:
The problem was that my motherboard (which is like 2-3 years old) had a too old VGA Bios version and the solution is obviously to update it.
Now both my motherboard and HD 5870 are from Gigabyte and this is how I did.

1. Download VGA Tools --@BIOS from: http://www.gigabyte.eu/Support/VGA/Utility_List.aspx
(the app in the top row)

2. Download the latest Bios VGA binary file for your graphics card. Now Gigabyte have their own system for their graphics cards names and mine was "GV-R587UD-1GD". Usually you can find this name on your receipt or on the box somewhere. Alt. you could install the --@BIOS tool and it's display the name for you.

3. When you have the Gigabyte-name for your graphics card goto http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...ad-center.aspx and search for the name there.

4. Click your graphics card, Downloads, choose Bios under Download type and download the latest version unless it's a beta version. I used version F8 (on 2010-09-07). When you've downloaded the file, just unpack to your desktop.

5. Install the --@BIOS tool and restart your computer just to be sure.

6. Run the --@BIOS tool, backup your current bios file (mine was just version F3 when latest was F8 :S)

7. Click the Flash button and select the binary file you downloaded in step 3 and let the tool do its job and then restart your computer when it asks you to.

This completely solved the issue for me. I can play all kinds of videos and could turn on flash hardware acceleration again with no more BSOD.