Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI Problem

802 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnny1982 
#1 ·
So, since I switched to ATI from NVIDIA (Had an 8800GT that died out, and bought a 5770 Vapor-X ) I've been having problems with it , most often when watching videos. I get the error that most of you are probably aware of "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered", after a freeze, and a random colored screen.

I'm guessing the 5770 Vapor-X requires more juice than a standard 8800GT. Am I right ?

This happened under every possible OS, from XP, to Vista, to 7, both 32 and 64 bit. On XP 32bit though, I had no problem in video-games, only while watching streams. It's really interesting, as I was able to run Starcraft II in Windows XP, at max settings, without any issues. Since I've updated to 7 64bit, I've been having these errors at 2 minute intervals. I can't even surf the web. After about 5-10 freezes, I do get an occasional BSOD , that Dumps physical memory.

I have:
Updated my bios
Sweeped any possible drivers that may have interfered with the ATI ones
Updated ATI drivers
Ran a lot of programs that were ment to fix this issue
Changed the TDR Delay from 2 to 8 (even tried disabling it but it just ended up freezing entirely)

Basically, software wise, I've done everything, but it didn't fix the issue.

Now, I'm guessing that the source of the problem is either the Power Supply, or the RAM.

I have:

PSU: Asus 550W A-55GA
Motherboard : Gigabyte P35-DS3
CPU: C2D E6750 2,6 Ghz @ 3,6 Ghz (Overclocking is not the cause of the issue. I have tried default bios settings and still no result. )
RAM: 2GB Ram (went for 64bit because I intend to get 8GB - pretty much useless but hey, there's a special offer)
Video card: Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 1GB Overclocked
SSD: 30GB Kingston
HDD: 600GB WD 7200RPM

And about 12 FANS, 2 Cold Cathodes, Fan Controller, DVD Drive, and a ton of USB devices.

See less See more
#5 ·
You will need at least a 650w PSU for the 5770. Seasonic PSU's are one of the best brands. If you're really looking for a 650w PSU have a look at the XFX 650w PSU: Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
It is little bit more expensive, but it has more AMPS on the 12v rail and is a single rail design, which I think is better (personal preference). If you cannot afford the XFX, the Seasonic would suffice as well.

#7 ·
#9 ·
Unfortunately you do pay a premium for the modular PSU's, but in my opinion it is totally worth it. I was on the lookout for a 750w Corsair PSU and upon seeing the TX (non-modular version) on a Youtube video, I decided to rather hang on and go for the modular HX version. Couldn't be happier, runs like a dream and not so many cables. I swear there are more cables in the box where it's stored, than what is actually connected in my PC, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.