Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI 9550 Install Problem

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Did anyone every have a solution for the problem previously posted about trying to install an ATI 9950 and on the 2nd reboot the screen always goes blank. The old nvidia card works when put back in but a repeat of the installation results in the same blank screen. Yes, I have run the driver removal progam to no avail. This looks like the ATI card is switching on something on the 2nd reboot that is not compabitable with my AGP.

I have a compaq 1.2 ghz AMD athlon with via chip set. I have a call in to ATI but no anwer yet.

#4 ·
it would help if you posted the bios message you receive
boot from the nvidia card
in the device manager uninstall the nvidia card
if the ati is listed uninstall it
shut down the computer and change the cards over
reboot the computer tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes reinstalling the ati card
disable a/virus
install the drivers
reboot the computer

#7 ·
I can bring up the vga window option fine. When I try to go into safe mode from the startup window the computer just reboots after attempting to startup. It looks like there is a bad driver for safe mode. Is there a way to restore drivers needed for safemode from the recovery console.

Would clearing CMOS have any benefit?

#8 ·
when it will not start in safe mode this usually indicates it is a hardware problem not a software one
if it starts ok with the other video card, put that in i would suspect in this order
insufficient power
faulty card
clearing the cmos is not likely to help
post your system specs including brand of p/supply wattage and look on the label on the side and post the amps each line puts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.