Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Artifacts on BIOS POST screen, Win7 won't boot

8K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
yesterday I've encountered a problem. My system (Windows 7 Pro SP1) was in Sleep mode and when I woke it up and launched Firefox, my screen froze completely, so I had to push the reset button.
After that, when the BIOS POST screen was displayed while launching, it had some artifacts on it (many rows of dots) and when the startup reached the Windows Loading Screen, the animation went on for a while, but then it froze and the booting didn't proceed.
When I restarted my computer again, a screen appeared saying that my hardware configuration has changed (or something like that) and allowing me to either run the Windows Repair Tool or run system normally. I tried both options (many times) but the Windows Repair Tool, which checked for errors, didn't find any solution. I've also done the Memory Test included in the Windows Repair Tool, but it showed no errors.

After that I tried booting Windows in Safe Mode with network connection, and it succeeded, allowing me to continue my work and write this post.
I browsed the internet looking for possible causes of my problem and came to a suspicion that my graphics card or PSU may be damaged.
Now, I've looked in Device Manager to see if the system recognizes my graphics card, and it does (but I'm not sure if that proves anything).

I'm not really sure what to do next with it. I'm kinda ok with working in Safe Mode (if I have to), but I'd like to know what's the cause of my problem and how to fix it.

I'm sure you'd ask for it sooner or later, so I'm posting my PC's hardware configuration:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5Q
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX280
PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 600W (or 650W, don't remember)
RAM: A-Data 2x2GB (inserted in yellow slots - Dual Channel?)
HDD: Samsung 640GB

If needed I will provide exact model name and numer of the components.

Also, if need be, please redirect me to a similar thread, if that could help.

I'm really counting on your knowledge and help in this matter.
Thanks in advance! :)

#edit
I forgot to mention, but I did clean the computer's inside with a vacuum cleaner. I've also unplugged the graphics card, gently cleaned it's connectors and plugged it back in (remembering about the 6- and 8-pin power connectors.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Artifacts on BIOS POST screen, Win7 won't boot

Older systems are more subject to problems/damage but the first suspect would be the lower quality PSU.
How old is the PSU?
Try the GPU in another PC.
Note: using a vacuum cleaner is not recommended. They can cause static buildup/damage.

#3 · (Edited)

Thanks for the fast reply!
I've built the PC myself (based on the suggestions I got on some tech forum) in 2008, so all the components are of the same age.
The PSU model is BQT E6-650W, which (as far as I know) was a good quality PSU by the time I bought it.

I don't really have any other PC which would handle the GTX280 (one of them is a laptop and the other one is like 12 years old). I could probably test it out on my friend's computer (which is almost identical to mine - also GTX280) but that has to wait for now.

Are there any tools I could check my graphics card with?

#4 ·

I don't know why I cannot edit my previous post.

I've managed to test my graphics card by putting it into my friend's computer (as I mentioned, he has a GTX280 too) and I experienced the same artifacts as described above.
So it's the GPU that's damaged.

Do you think it's worth repairing or would it be better just to buy another GPU (or even the same model)?

#5 ·

edit: I believe there is a minimum number of posts restriction. Until you reach the minimum you have 15 minutes to edit.

Symptoms chased the card so that's pretty indicative it is toast. Provided it isn't still under warranty, I'ld try the oven trick; you might get lucky and get a few more months (or years) out of it. But do so knowing you may also totally destroy the card.

#6 ·

Glad you discovered the cause of the problem. You can try the bake thing as you have since the GPU is faulty.
Personally, I would not replace the GPU before replacing that PSU.

#7 ·

What's that oven trick you two are talking about?
And what's wrong with the PSU? Does it have insufficient power or is it of not-the-best quality?

As for the new graphics card, what do you think about buying a used GTX280 or similar? It would be rather cheap (I hope) and would certainly fit with my setup.

#8 ·

BeQuiet PSU's are not a brand we recommend and if it's 6 yrs.old is past it's warranty period and a good candidate for failure.
I've never "baked" a component so I can't offer any instructions.

#9 · (Edited)

What we call the 'oven trick' is a well documented method of (sometimes) saving a failed/failing printed circuit board. I won't go into the procedure as there are any number of discussions and videos a quick web search away. In short, you bake the card in your oven for a few minutes.

The science behind it is this: Cards often fail because of loosening solder joints. By heating the card, the solder is softened and reflowed so that they once again make good solid contact.

If you are comfortable purchasing a used card and are happy with the performance of the GTX 280, by all means do so. The GTX 280, though dated, is still a capable card, but you should be aware that current mid-level cards will out perform it.

PS: I've had rather limited success baking cards. Out of about a dozen attempts, I've resurrected just three graphics cards and one Xbox board.

#10 ·

Thanks for clearing things up!

I'm actually leaning towards buying a "new" used one, but I might try this trick out. Unfortunately I don't know how to tell if it's the connections that are damaged or the processor is burnt out, but if I find a suitable replacement online, I might give it a shot.

I guess the problem is solved, thanks for all your help!
When I get a replacement or by any chance revive my card with the oven trick, I'll give this thread an update (provided it doesn't get locked :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.