Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

AGP 8X for ECS PT800CE-A

This is a discussion on AGP 8X for ECS PT800CE-A within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm working on a "generic" box for my (16 year-old male) cousin. He had a bootlegged copy of XP Pro,

Old 06-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm working on a "generic" box for my (16 year-old male) cousin. He had a bootlegged copy of XP Pro, and wanted to have me ghost his old 80 GB hard drive onto a new 300GB drive. So, once I got him a legit XP Pro (SP2), and ghosted the contents over, his old graphics card started behaving poorly, so I pulled it to see what it was (it wasn't listed in Device Manager any more, thank you Microsnot) and a capacitor on the card fell off. (Probably causing some of the display problems, but, anyway ...)

So, my challenge is to find a AGP card for about $150 that will do gaming and not crash with his motherboard - the Elitegroup PT800CE-A. There's a 450 watt power supply, so that is a non-problem. I've got the XP Pro up to SP2 with all the latest & greatest (ha) security/critical updates. There's 2x256MB RAM with a P4 3.2MHz processor.

WinXP starts up and gets a "system recovered from a serious error" box, probably due to an abundance of display adapter drivers (old, broken card; several AGP cards I've tried) which repeats if I send/don't send. Box runs nonetheless (not great graphics) if I leave the error box pushed off to the side. I'll probably have to do major cleanup on drivers once I get a new card.

Any thoughts that I can throw at the cousin? Thanks.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Definately kill all the old drivers before installing a new card/drivers so as not to run into conflicts.

Did this capacitor look like it was leaking/bulging? If so, the power supply is not feeding the card steady power and might be worth replacing.

As for a new card within the price range, search for something with an NVIDIA 6800GT / XT chipset, or ATI X800GTO. They're both about 150 and will offer up good performance.

v0709 | Intel Prescott 3.2ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS DDR2-800 PC2-6400 | Sparkle Power 550w PSU | ATI All-In-Wonder X600 Pro | Sound Blaster Audigy 4 | CoolerMaster Aluminum Case | WD Raptor 76gb 10K RPM SATA HDD |ASUS CD/DVD RW Combo Drive | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Combo Drive | Coolermaster Copper Heatsink
Rashiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Capacitor wasn't leaking - just probably poorly attached. Power supply is new.

My cousin has updated his price range to $250-400, so if there's a better AGP 8X card to consider, please advise. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Ahh, well then with that new budget, either an ATI Radeon X850 series or an nVidia 7600 series GPU. Both can be had for less than 3 bills and will be a huge improvement.
v0709 | Intel Prescott 3.2ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS DDR2-800 PC2-6400 | Sparkle Power 550w PSU | ATI All-In-Wonder X600 Pro | Sound Blaster Audigy 4 | CoolerMaster Aluminum Case | WD Raptor 76gb 10K RPM SATA HDD |ASUS CD/DVD RW Combo Drive | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Combo Drive | Coolermaster Copper Heatsink
Rashiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread