Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

AGP 1.5v vs 0.8v? x4/x8?

This is a discussion on AGP 1.5v vs 0.8v? x4/x8? within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I can't find an answer, can anyone help? I am installing a video card onto a ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

So I can't find an answer, can anyone help?

I am installing a video card onto a ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard.

Runs Pentium 4 3-3.5(?) GHz, Windows XP Pro, 1G DDR2 RAM (will upgrade to 2G x 2)

Power Supply is 200W I think...(can't remember, it's at my parents house but they want me to upgrade it)

It says:
1 x AGP8X/4X
Install only 1.5 V or 0.8 V AGP cards on this motherboard! 3.3V AGP
cards are not supported in this motherboard. It seems like it might not like a 8x .8v AGP card.

Any suggestions???

Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Runs Pentium 4 3-3.5(?) GHz, Windows XP Pro, 1G DDR2 RAM (will upgrade to 2G x 2)
The motherboard only support a total 2GB of memory

Quote:
It says:
1 x AGP8X/4X
Install only 1.5 V or 0.8 V AGP cards on this motherboard! 3.3V AGP
cards are not supported in this motherboard. It seems like it might not like a 8x .8v AGP card.
Not sure what is your question here. You can use 4X or 8X AGP cards as long as they are of the 1.5V variety.

Depending on the graphics card you will want to make sure that the Power Supply is capable of running the card.

Honestly this PC is at the point I really wouldn't dump any money into it.

But if it must be upgraded I would suggest maxing out the Memory first.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Almost all AGP cards currently available are 4x/8x cards, the board won't take a straight x8 card.
Code:
Expansion Slots	
1 x AGP8X/4X (1.5V only)
1 x PCI Express x1
2 x PCI, PCI 2.2
What cards were you looking at and what is the intent of the upgrade?
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well the main difference is x8 runs at .8v but may not run as well since the motherboard says it can run both 1.5v and .8v but I get the feeling it mostly wants 1.5v. If I ran a .8v x8 card would that run slower, would I be better off with a cheaper 1.5v x4 video card?

I just want to run old Pre-2006 games if given the chance. And better Youtube videos. Nothing special. GeForce FX 5500 less then $40 so it's worth it to me. I may be able to upgrade the total computer but that isn't needed yet and would be much more.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

oh and it seems i can do 2 DDR 2 slots with 2G, so that would end up giving me 4G of RAM. Am I right?

2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. 2GB DDR2
533/400 non-ECC, unbuffered memory.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

4x/8x cards will fit both 4x and 8x slots and run on 1.5v or .8v the specs for your board quite clearly state 1.5v only as I posted above.
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P5VDC-MX
Scroll down to expansion slots.

Your board will run a total of 2gig(1gig per slot) of ram either DDR or DDR2 but not both at the same time, one or the other.

Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote