Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Video Card Support

71.84 Drivers Freeze FX5200 (Nvidia)

This is a discussion on 71.84 Drivers Freeze FX5200 (Nvidia) within the Video Card Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. There are a lot of people who have upgraded to all of the latest drivers, system wide and had directx

Old 06-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

There are a lot of people who have upgraded to all of the latest drivers, system wide and had directx freeze. Unfortunately it seems that the 71.84 card drivers are the problem, when used with Direct x 9 with the fx5200 (maybe other cards too?). Downgrade (!) to other drivers. The frame rate is actually usually faster with earlier drivers - to a point. Inno support recommend these 66.94 or 61.76, anything above around 56 has support for most of Directx 9. Also read the BIZZARE driver install instructions which come in the readme file once you unpack the drivers. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I follow them just to be sure. Directx is rarely the cause of problems apparently.

Just ignore these bits which are to get google searchers to get to this post rather than spend several hours as I have done getting to the correct solution. Many have smashed their cards with hammers etc trying to fix this total ......... of a problem!

FX5200 crashes Direct x, FX5200 freezes, FX5200 locks up.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

I cannot appologise enough - the inno / nvidia support guy said this was the fix - I just applied it and it did not work. Arrgh. Have heard people try a million different things to get around this - one guy could by changing his FSB speed down, another by installing another operating system they both worked for them - not exactly handy solutions. I think the problem seems to be new chipset drivers in combination with the other drivers.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i don't know what method they told you to use to install,try this one
in the device manager uninstall the card
reboot into safe mode
when windows wants to install the drivers say no
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
the important part is to stop windows installing it's version of the drivers,in xp you have the option of vga mode which stops windows installing it's drivers
Old 06-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Finally solved this problem. Phew. It all comes down to the via drivers page (hyperion 4 in 1). The download section boldy starts 'these drivers work for ALL via chipsets'. Fine so I read that bit, downloaded and installed them. After weeks of searching I finally revisited the page and hidden beneath the first download was another headed something like - "some users have reported problems with the via drivers above... those using win 98 and older chipsets download here". Anyhow all is now back to normal with these older drivers. The original confusion arose by installing several bits and pieces all at once and assuming that the via drivers must be fine and irreversably installed anyway - both false assumptions. Other possible fixes I came accross in my hellish search for a solution are.

- Direct 3d does not work with two monitors (switch off in Bios or graphics settings or both)
- Make sure you have the right monitor installed, and maybe not two sets of drivers!
- IRQ conflicts whatever they are might be a cause I've been told - find them in the system information via progs - accessories.
- A virus deleting vital files.
- If your direct x diagnostic is not reading your vidieo ram at the right size - it may well be your mobo drivers.
- Disable AGP fast writes in bios

Good luck to you.

Piers
Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i had that much trouble with via and a soyo m/b a few years ago it turned me off them for life